• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Repair or replace (or sell for parts)?

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
I have a new TF Breitling Superocean 44mm. When running it keeps time and does not have any issues. However, most of the time when it runs out of power it will not start after winding. If I open it up and give the balance wheel a nudge, it starts up and runs as long as it has power. My local repair shop quotes me $600 to repair. I think they are getting greedy.
I have never repaired a movement before. I have replaced a quartz movement once. If this were something I could fix without a complete tear down I might consider repairing myself, or would replacement be easier?

bangwang67

bang ❗️ bang 💥
Certified
22/3/22
EU
600 dollars for a repair, what they servicing an AP? They definitely getting greedy that’s for damn sure.
Maybe reach out to some watchmakers on RWI US based and see if they could offer a solution/info.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Is that a replica or genuine? If replica, it will run an ETA clone most likely which can be picked up cheaply. If you want longevity, you can get a Swiss made ETA and have a watchmaker swap it. Not really worth servicing such a cheap movement.

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
600 dollars for a repair, what they servicing an AP? They definitely getting greedy that’s for damn sure.
Maybe reach out to some watchmakers on RWI US based and see if they could offer a solution/info.
I believe he thinks it is a gen Breitling. He did a full service on a vintage Citizen for half that price. When I go to pick it up I may tell him it's a rep and see if I can bargain with him.

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
This is my preferred remedy. But will my stem/crown work in another movement?

Thanks for the link!
Yes, Clone ETA and Swiss ETA/Sellita use the same stem.

If you have steady hands, you’d need a short list of tools and can get it done yourself ;)

Reactions: 1MoreWatch

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
I think if I just reset the keyless works it would fix the problem. It might just be the hacking arm is out of alignment. I found a helpful YT video at the bottom of this posting in the forum. I already have all of the tools he uses in the video and it doesn't look too complicated. If I mess it up beyond repair (most likely a critical screw would fly out of my tweezers and be lost forever on my workshop floor) or that doesn't fix the problem, I could move on to replacing the movement.

Reactions: restandrelaxation

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
I think if I just reset the keyless works it would fix the problem. It might just be the hacking arm is out of alignment. I found a helpful YT video at the bottom of this posting in the forum. I already have all of the tools he uses in the video and it doesn't look too complicated. If I mess it up beyond repair (most likely a critical screw would fly out of my tweezers and be lost forever on my workshop floor) or that doesn't fix the problem, I could move on to replacing the movement.
I love this mentality, some joker wants $600, I'll teach myself!!! I'll learn how to do it and move on.

Absolutely love it. You will leave this little conundrum with a heavy pocket and some new skills. 💯 Have a go, worst case scenario you need a new movement, swap it out and you're still $400 better off.

If you are unsure of anything post some pics up.loads of people here happy to help.👍

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
Well, looks like a movement swap is the the only (best) option. I got to the barrel bridge and found that two of the three screws holding it down were only half there. The tops of the screws were sheared off in the middle (circled in red, the intact one, removed, is green). I know, this is all part of the rep game, or perhaps rep adventure. :D

Maybe those half screw heads are still in there causing the problem.🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Valaj

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
So, for a replacement, I'm thinking about getting a PT5000. Should be a direct replacement and only cost about $50.