• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Speedy SS Bracelet for Gen Speedy Pro?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I've just become the proud owner of a gen sapphire sandwich Speedy Moon 3873.50.31. It comes with a nice black alligator deployment which is fine for dress stuff but I want to supplement it with a SS bracelet.

Will the high end lemania rep Speedy bracelet fit OK? Am I right in understanding that the rep bracelet is very good quality? Has anybody had any experiences of using it on a gen?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
If it's 20mm I supposed it should fit, you can probably find one around $50 from one of our trusted dealers. Welcome to the club!

90c244e0.jpg

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Cheers matey. Here's a slightly boring (but still beautiful!) pic of my new acquisition. Personally I think the Pro looks great on a black or brown alligator. But I'd like the SS option if I get bored and I don't really fancy blowing £200+ on a potential rep bracelet on eBay...

Photo17-04-2012124513.jpg

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Looking sharp! Sapphire sandwich would be my #1 choice if purchasing another one.

I know a lot of traditionalists prefer the 'warm' look of the hesalite (whatever that means?!) but I can't justify spending £1600 on a watch with a plastic crystal! And watching that movement through the case back never gets boring ;-)

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Domed sapphire certainly looks great, specially under the sun. :)

Don't get me wrong though, I love my hesalite speedy to death.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
So sorry to dwell but will the end links of the rep bracelet fit the gen case okay (i.e. no gaps)?

dan_j

5/11/10
That's a beauty. I can't wait to get one myself.

I've owned the ST19 with Plexi domed crystal rep speedy (one of the best speedy reps) and I can tell you that the end links are very different than the gen in terms of the way it curves. I'm not sure whether it'll fit but I can tell you that some maybe able to tell rep end links very easily...especially if you have small wrists.

Daniel

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
You could always buy the just the gen end links from Ofrei. They're somewhere around $30-$50 or so depending which ones you need. I would imagine they would work on a rep bracelet.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Will the high end lemania rep Speedy bracelet fit OK? Has anybody had any experiences of using it on a gen?

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I don't really care for the 1998/849 bracelet that came on my gen Speedy, and they are currently selling used for around $400. I would love to sell it and apply the cash elsewhere. However, I'm reluctant to sell the thing because I don't want to regret it down the road. If the rep bracelet fits then I wouldn't worry about it.

Am I right in understanding that the rep bracelet is very good quality?

I sold a Lemania rep just prior to buying a gen and the bracelet was fantastic. I slightly prefer the rep version to the gen to be honest. The rep links were very slightly thicker and the clasp closed up tight without the annoying "click" that some gen bracelets have. A word of caution: The rep bracelet you end up with might not be the same as the one I had. I know there is more than one type of Speedy bracelet out there, so be careful. I bought my handwind rep from Lay, so I guess that's not an option anymore. The bracelet on the rep that Trevor sells (LINK) sure looks a lot like the one I had.

I hope that helps. Please report back if you try it out! :)

EDITED TO ADD: Another option might be a gen Omega 1171 bracelet from Ofrei. They don't cost quite as much as the solid link Omega bracelets and really look great.

You could always buy the just the gen end links from Ofrei. They're somewhere around $30-$50 or so depending which ones you need. I would imagine they would work on a rep bracelet.

I just checked Ofrei. The 849 endlinks are $56 each! Ouch. :shocked:

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Thanks for the info - very useful. Trevor offered me the SS bracelet alone for $55 + shipping which isn't too bad. I doubt the endlinks will fit though ;-(

I've been watching some for sale on eBay and the gen bracelets are going for $400+ like you said. Even the deployment clasp alone is $200+! Now I remember why I got hooked on rep collecting.

To be honest I think I'll just stick with the gen deployment black alligator that I've got. I think the Speedy Pro really suits this combo and I've got quite a few stainless steel braceleted reps to wear if I want a change. Shame though...

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
IMO putting a rep bracelet on a gen is a bit of a pity. After all, the bracelet is a crucial part of the watch, and the feel and look of the real thing is usually superior. People tend to do the opposite, and put gen bracelets on reps, and often for good reason. But maybe that's just me... If I were you I'd keep an eye on eBay and watch forums till a cheap gen bracelet comes up. In the meantime it's not like you can't wear the watch, right?

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
+1

Agreed, IMO its like putting Kia rims on a Porsche. No offense to those driving Kia's :)

IMO putting a rep bracelet on a gen is a bit of a pity. After all, the bracelet is a crucial part of the watch, and the feel and look of the real thing is usually superior. People tend to do the opposite, and put gen bracelets on reps, and often for good reason. But maybe that's just me... If I were you I'd keep an eye on eBay and watch forums till a cheap gen bracelet comes up. In the meantime it's not like you can't wear the watch, right?