• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep SMP GMT vs. Gen SMP

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges since one watch is an SMP GEN and the other is a SMP GMT rep. But, I spent $850.00 on the gen as a used watch. The rep goes for in the neighborhood of $100.00. So, what exactly does $750.00 USD buy?????

Let's take a look:

COMP1a.jpg

The first part of a watch we see is the dial and the face, so here are both side by side.
The cases are VERY close. They damn near match up perfectly. The dials are also pretty close (despite the differences). The screening is sharp on both, and the wave patterns look great on both. The bezel insets are different, but that is due to the model differences. As always, the gen has it with the bezel pearl. Also, the bezel is a bit more rounded on the edges, but that would not be apparent unless these two watches were side by side.

Now, the BIG difference is with the lume. In the dark, the ORG glows like it is radioactive. My SMP has one of the brightest lumes I have ever seen. It even out lumes my Seiko Orange Monster.

COMP1b.jpg

The next comparison is with the bracelet links. They are VERY VERY close. The rep is still in the plastic, and my org has been around a few years, and it shows the wear. Although you can't see it in this picture, the rep's links are noticably thicker.

COMP1c.jpg

The clasps are also close, but the org has a much deeper lettering. Also, the "feel" of the org is much better. On the org, the divers explansion locks into place much more securely.

COMP1d.jpg

The case backs are very close. Note, here you can see the difference in the thickness of the links.

So, what does $750.00 buy you???? Well, I would not take the rep diving, and I know that the org is sealed like fort knox. I have had it underwater many times with no ill effect. I do doubt I'll ever go down to the rated 300m. Still, if I did, it would be reassuring to know that my watch would still be working when they dredged my dead body up. And, of course, there is a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I have a real Omega on my wrist. I must like it a lot, since I own three Omega orgs.

pman

Known Member
28/6/06
Thanks WBK, very nice post. I'm amazed at the thickness of the band on the rep. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
pman said:
Thanks WBK, very nice post. I'm amazed at the thickness of the band on the rep. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

I agree. I was surprised myself. Overall, I'm amazed at the quality of this watch at this price point.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes that's true... The He valve placement on the rep is an easy giveaway. It should be slightly above 10... This is the first thing I would notice on non-chrono SMP.

trefleenor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/06
SMP is a handsome watch.

Just bought my gen $1200 SMP Pro last week, and it's been my fav watch.

Lume is great, the bracelet feels great, and got to wear the Bond watch is just cool.

One very minor thing that I don't like is the locking mechanism of the clasp, doesn't snap too well.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Re: SMP is a handsome watch.

trefleenor said:
Just bought my gen $1200 SMP Pro last week, and it's been my fav watch.

Lume is great, the bracelet feels great, and got to wear the Bond watch is just cool.

One very minor thing that I don't like is the locking mechanism of the clasp, doesn't snap too well.

Do you have the double lock as on the one pictured above? I have this type of clasp on both of my SMP's. They both lock VERY securely. Now, I have the same clasp on my 4th gen PO, and it too locks nicely, but it is not as secure as my org's. If your clasp does not "snap" correctly, you should return it to the dealer you bought it from and have it checked.

trefleenor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/06
Yes, the double lock mushroom knob. It closes ok, just not as good as other watches.