• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep or Gen? Omega experts please help

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I'd put money that it's a gen. FYI it's a quartz (if that's what you're looking for). I wouldn't buy it - you can get a new one for around a grand.

My turn - rep or gen?:

DSCN0864.jpg

Corporate

Horology Curious
8/3/09
Shows how good this site is for telling reps apart from gens.

Ive never owned a gen or rep omega, but one kinda learns what to look for. :)

tetzumaru

24/10/08
for the smp look at the mids HE valve, the rep is always place in the middle of the 50 minute mark. gen is slightly above the mid of the 50 minute mark on the bezel. thats the easiest way to tell.

watchfiend

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/09
I've also learnt on this site that another "tell" is that the minute hand on the rep's are generally shorter than the gen. Looking at the pic this looks to be true.

Corporate

Horology Curious
8/3/09
Not sure if it's a tell, but the dial on the reps have the "waves" perfectly centered at 6 o'clock, while the GEN does not.

Of course the dial texture looks better on the gen as well.

There are also easily spotted differences in crownguard, datewheel and bezelprint, but not sure if I could spot those if I wouldnt be able to compare...

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Corporate said:
Not sure if it's a tell, but the dial on the reps have the "waves" perfectly centered at 6 o'clock, while the GEN does not.

There are also easily spotted differences in crownguard, datewheel and bezelprint, but not sure if I could spot those if I wouldnt be able to compare...

I've never noticed the waves being centered issue - great eye!!! With respect to the texture - interestingly enough the reps seems to have a "printed" texture where the gen has a deep true texture (not just a color difference creating the effect).

Officine Replica

3/7/09
Very informative thread!

jmd33 said:
Corporate said:

I've never noticed the waves being centered issue - great eye!!! With respect to the texture - interestingly enough the reps seems to have a "printed" texture where the gen has a deep true texture (not just a color difference creating the effect).

Do you think there's a difference in terms of look and feel between the 21j and ETA model (not counting the movement obviously :mrgreen: ). Your 21j looks pretty good to me!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Officine Replica said:
Do you think there's a difference in terms of look and feel between the 21j and ETA model (not counting the movement obviously :mrgreen: ). Your 21j looks pretty good to me!

I'm not sure. Other posts here comment on an all around fit and finish difference between the 21js and ETAs. I normally just buy 21j or gen (if I'm gonna spend a few hundred on a watch, I'm going all the way). The 21j reps are fun for me because I have no worries - I consider them semi disposable. As you can see, I have a gen 300m and rep 300m. It's perfect for me to have both because I can go to the beach, park, work in the yard etc... and wear the rep of a watch I love (my wife would kill me if I wore a gen it to the beach - but she can't tell the diference anyway so she always asks "is that the real one" real pissy when I'm working in the yard or something - lol :D )

As you pointed out - the 21js I buy look fine (and I am very happy with them!!!!). I have the SMP300m, GMT, a Rollie, Cartier Tank, Santos, etc... . All the reps I buy are 21j, and I love them. If I get one with less of a perfect finish (and I'm fairly anal sometimes), that goes in the weekend shorts and T-shirt beater rotation (i.e. the GMT and my Tank). Nice finish means I can wear it to work without any worries.

Just my $.02 - but then again, I tend to march to my own drum.

Officine Replica

3/7/09
jmd33 said:
Officine Replica said:

I'm not sure. Other posts here comment on an all around fit and finish difference between the 21js and ETAs. I normally just buy 21j or gen (if I'm gonna spend a few hundred on a watch, I'm going all the way). The 21j reps are fun for me because I have no worries - I consider them semi disposable. As you can see, I have a gen 300m and rep 300m. It's perfect for me to have both because I can go to the beach, park, work in the yard etc... and wear the rep of a watch I love (my wife would kill me if I wore a gen it to the beach - but she can't tell the diference anyway so she always asks "is that the real one" real pissy when I'm working in the yard or something - lol :D )

As you pointed out - the 21js I buy look fine (and I am very happy with them!!!!). I have the SMP300m, GMT, a Rollie, Cartier Tank, Santos, etc... . All the reps I buy are 21j, and I love them. If I get one with less of a perfect finish (and I'm fairly anal sometimes), that goes in the weekend shorts and T-shirt beater rotation (i.e. the GMT and my Tank). Nice finish means I can wear it to work without any worries.

Just my $.02 - but then again, I tend to march to my own drum.

Fair enough, I've read the fit and finish about the ETAs being better too... how? Idk. I thought they'll take the same case and just fit a different movement in there. I love your SMP as I've commented before and I think that'll be my next watch. How much of a difference do you feel between the gen and rep? I hope to get the gen someday as well (love that watch!). Any more pics? You really should do a side by side pic comparison review or something :D

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Both the gen Omega 2264 and 2254 have been discontinued and are getting much harder to find. Our local BenBridge (sp?) and Jared's each had one, but other ADs don't have them anymore (I always look for fun). Pretty soon they will probably only be available on the grey market (sometimes with no serial number), online (Jomashop, World of Watches, etc...), or used.

There is some difference, of course, between the rep and gen (you're right, I should do a side by side). The stainless steel on the gen is much better, as is everything else (pearl, lume, dial, hands, screw down crown, etc..., etc...), but from a foot away you probably couldn't tell the difference. The rep is thicker and the crystal is much more domed than the gen (which I actually like because in shorts and a T-shirt the rep has a little more girth to it).

I'm very happy with both, as they serve different purposes for me. :D