• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing Links from an SMP GMT.....

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Good Morning,

I have two Omega Seamaster GMT's. One, I do not wear, the other I do wear though it is a tiny bit tight....

I am also expecting some links in the mail from Ferrariman to add to a Omega SMP I am getting from WBK.

How do i remove links from the SMP GMT to add to the other. I have did some searching and found various people doing it to POs and such, but I have not found any good tutorial for the do it yourself person such as myself.

In short, does anyone have a good tutorial for removing links?

Thanks!!

Tom

If not, can someone recommend a watchsmith in the Delaware County area of Pennsylvania that is reliable to work on reps?

Thanks again!

NAVIGATER

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/10/06

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Thanks Navigater!! I was hoping to do this without an additional purchase, but I guess if I going to persist in this hobby, I might as well get one :)

Thanks again!

NAVIGATER

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/10/06
First i also trying to do it without a tool but i did not found any way to do this.

If you are US based on not EU you should check Birdman in the US he also has the tool
http://watchtools4u.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=8
i think he is also a here here but i am not 100% sure but he is a member on the RWG

Greetings Navi

Patek986

28/12/06
I did my own Omega GMT by using a standard paperclip. Bend one side out a tad, use the other end's round section on the table with the bracelet atop of it and push down on the bracelet hard so that the paperclip's end forces the pin out. Be careful, it's a little tricky keeping the paperclip steady on the desk. It works like a charm and you can use a needle nose pliers or your finger tips to pull out the pins. I wish I could show you in person, it works well just use your imagination a bit. Hope that helps!

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
I guess driving a small nail through a piece of wood to steady it and then laying the wood down with the nail facing up would have the same function. Though, one little slip and you could have a hole in your finger :)

Thank you for the idea!!!

Tom

Patek986

28/12/06
It sounds kind of stupid to it that way and yes the first time I did it at my desk at work, I pressed down do hard on the bracelet(with it balancing on the round side of the paperclip) that the pin went through my skin a few layers 3/8" and back out of the skin! So I had to pull it through my skin. When I stopped the bleeding I put it aside and did it under a better (more prepared) environment at home and it really works well. Put down a non-slip surface on the counter top.

Yes, pretend you have a 2x4 piece of wood and you have a nail that is slightly larger than the hole it needs to go in. You'd start the nail in the hole and balance the nail on the ground and push down on the board carefully to gain force.

Once you try this with the watch it is easy and not as barbarric as it sounds. Good luck!

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Well, I paperclipped it tonight and it worked like a charm!!! My finger and thumb hurt a little, but other then that, the links have been removed and added.

I still think I will invest in one of those nifty link remover tools though :)

Thank you all for the help!!!!

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
It is not easy by any means, but it is entirely possible to do with a nail or two and a hammer. Just make sure you hammer them out enough before you pull them out with a pair of pliers or you run the risk of bending the little bars. Also make sure you don't lose the sleeves, those htings are hard to come by.

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Thankfully, no sleeve popped out from what I could tell.

What really surprised me was how easy they went back in... I was expecting a little bit of a struggle....

Patek986

28/12/06
Maestrosa said:
Thankfully, no sleeve popped out from what I could tell.

What really surprised me was how easy they went back in... I was expecting a little bit of a struggle....

I'm so glad it worked out for you and it didn't cost you anything! If it makes you feel any better I was surprised to, the pins went in way easier than I expected. I almost thought too easy, but after 2 months my GMT's bracelet is perfect and the pins have no movement, so you should be fine. Oh and seeing your other post about the noise of the date wheel and all....mine does that too, I just turn it as smoothly as possible and slowly.

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Thanks Patek!! I appreciate the reassurance on the noise thing and how easily the pins go in :)

Thanks again!

Tom