• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing Bezel on SMP

luckie

19/12/11
From what I have been reading it's quiet difficult, any tips or tricks beyond buying a bezel remover? I got a great deal on a Gen Bezel for an SMP and want to trade it out. I've been trying to practice on some old cases but with no luck.

luckie

19/12/11
Great thread indeed but my bezel won't come off with a pop of the fingernail, more likely, I'd lose a fingernail. LOL
Hope you don't get banned.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Try with a blade or a thin knife all the way around, it will pop out, as far as i know getting it out is the easy part...

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
If Mr Paps gets banned, who would maintain the Franken PO thread? :nah:

luckie

19/12/11
Got the gen bezel in the mail, now to try and remove the bezel and replace the whole thing, It will fit as I have tried it on an SMP case that I've been using for practice modding. Unfortunately it didn't have a bezel on it when I got it so.....The Gen Bezel insert actually matches the dial better than the rep does.

luckie

19/12/11
Ended up just replacing the insert which was difficult to remove but easier then scratching up the case. Gen Insert now on, looks awesome, like a well worn watch that it is. Pictures to follow.

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Cant wait to see photos!!!

The SMP doesn't get too much attention these days...

luckie

19/12/11
Here is a quick outside photo. I'm learning to take and post photos.
DSC_0386.jpg
The insert is scratched as it came that way but since I wear it daily it would probably end up scratched at some point anyway. It took a lot of sanding to get it to lay below the crystal.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
That looks really good, it gives a vintage look too...

luckie

19/12/11
I was surprised how the gen insert matched the dial almost spot on. The beginning of a franken project. LOL

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Here is a quick outside photo. I'm learning to take and post photos.
DSC_0386.jpg
The insert is scratched as it came that way but since I wear it daily it would probably end up scratched at some point anyway. It took a lot of sanding to get it to lay below the crystal.

Looks good. Which movement and how does the Gen bezel work on the rep case?

Thanks. :)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Luckie this looks great!

Agree with Pap on the aged look.

I had to sand my insert for a long while too when I swapped to gen. It's normal.

Like Q asked, what movements in there? A 21j?

luckie

19/12/11
Thanks, It's got a 2836 Swiss ETA.
As for the Bezel, I ended up just replacing the insert as the bezel would not come off despite my best efforts. The gen insert took lots of sanding underneath to get it to lay flat below the crystal. Next to tackle those crown guards.
edit note- I assume the bezel will work just fine as it did on another SMP case I was practicing shaving the crown guards.