• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing a SA4130 from the case and how to reset the Keyless

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Was swapping cases, put the stem back in, screwed the case clamps, but the crown came shooting out when I tried to set it to the time setting position. Don't yet have the courage to remove the dial, hands and rest of the parts to reset it! I was soooo close.

Carlytoss

Certified
18/3/16
Snitching your TLS connexion
Very good tutorial, thank you

Does anyone know where I can buy this spring yoke at an affordable price? The only ones I've found so far are above $100 with shipping, which seems pretty expensive for such a small piece that has a very strong tendency to fly off in all directions...
Thanks for your help

famtss

Yachtblaster
23/7/23
i had to remove the dial and hands to fix the keyless and i found there is no dial washer on my movement, is this normal?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
i had to remove the dial and hands to fix the keyless and i found there is no dial washer on my movement, is this normal?
That washer is called the hour wheel friction spring and it is supposed to be there. Every 4130 I've taken apart has had one. It keeps the hour wheel from dislodging and lifting upward if the movement is turned upside down (with a dial in place). A watch may function without one, especially if it isn't turned upside down often.

HginoP.jpeg

BTW as @Digital. has documented the 4130 keyless might be easily reset without removing the dial. First check to see if the yoke for sliding pinion has lifted out of its sliding pinion detent and try to push it back with a small screwdriver.

If the setting lever is in the time setting position you can proceed as follows:

Bend a paperclip with a little hook on the end as shown. I sanded the hook end flat to keep from scratching up the parts, but the opening next to the crown is large enough to fit an unsanded paperclip, even a large one. If you hold the movement at eye level with good light you can see what you are doing.

Hgi1gJ.jpeg

HgiY1k.jpeg

HgiyMo.jpeg

You just need to put the hook behind the post on the setting lever and then pop the post to the other side of the setting lever jumper. This puts the keyless in the winding position and the stem will go right back in. Note the disappearance of the fat knurl on the stem in the final pic.

HgiqNY.jpeg

Hgiots.jpeg

Hgim53.jpeg

Last edited:

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/10
That washer is called the hour wheel friction spring and it is supposed to be there. Every 4130 I've taken apart has had one. It keeps the hour wheel from dislodging and lifting upward if the movement is turned upside down (with a dial in place). A watch may function without one, especially if it isn't turned upside down often.

HginoP.jpeg

BTW as @Digital. has documented the 4130 keyless might be easily reset without removing the dial. First check to see if the yoke for sliding pinion has lifted out of its sliding pinion detent and try to push it back with a small screwdriver.

If the setting lever is in the time setting position you can proceed as follows:

Bend a paperclip with a little hook on the end as shown. I sanded the hook end flat to keep from scratching up the parts, but the opening next to the crown is large enough to fit an unsanded paperclip, even a large one. If you hold the movement at eye level with good light you can see what you are doing.

Hgi1gJ.jpeg

HgiY1k.jpeg

HgiyMo.jpeg

You just need to put the hook behind the post on the setting lever and then pop the post to the other side of the setting lever jumper. This puts the keyless in the winding position and the stem will go right back in. Note the disappearance of the fat knurl on the stem in the final pic.

HgiqNY.jpeg

Hgiots.jpeg

Hgim53.jpeg
This will definitely work, a dental pick or a pair high qualtiy SS tweezers will suffice. Space between the dial and movement is large enough to actually see the lever.

Reactions: KJ2020

Shieek

Known Member
Certified
5/3/23
Germany

HginoP.jpeg

Hgi1gJ.jpeg

HgiY1k.jpeg

HgiyMo.jpeg

HgiqNY.jpeg

Hgiots.jpeg

Hgim53.jpeg
Thank you so much. I fixed my keyless with these instructions.

Reactions: KJ2020