• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Received 42 PO help!

msusox80

4/1/11
Hey guys... Just got my 42mm PO from one of our TD's... Everything looks great, sized it up and wore it to work today and then saw the awful smudges all over the inside of the crystal! (see pic) the pic shows the one to the left of the logo but trust me there are several more... A little disappointed but I don't want to risk sending it back around this time of year..question is; is this a DIY fix it job for a novice? I have access to caseback opener and some decent screwdrivers... Can I take the movement out And wipe down the crystal? Any tutorials? Thanks for the help!!
6d42f6a2.jpg

msusox80

4/1/11
Doesn't look toooo bad... If for some reason I mess it up, could I just send it to vac for ar and relume and assume he'll put it back together for me?? :) just asking..

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The whole key is to press just hard enough to pop the stem out. Too hard and it will need a trip to a 'smith to reset the keyless works. As long as you take it easy there should be no worries. What MVT is it?

msusox80

4/1/11
2824.... I just read putting it back in Is the tough one... Can't find a tutorial for anything other then the stem tho... There's screws holding the movement in place correct?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I have rounded the stem release button with red, Push that down with a small srewdriver or a tooth pic and pull the stem out...

msusox80

4/1/11
Starting to think this is out of my skill set... My other option is to send back? Will they refund in full plus cost to send it back? Immediate refund or do they wait for arrival?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
If i were you i wouldnt send it back for that. You will be without your watch for a couple of months. Try something local if possible... If you insist you contact your dealer.

Sent from my Desire HD

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Not worth sending back to China - it'll cost you @$30 shipping plus months waiting, and it may come back unchanged, or fixed, or fixed but with a new problem.
Any of our trusted watchsmiths could fix it, but shipping will cost you a large percentage of the price.
If you want to send it to a modder for a relume anyway, I'm sure they could clean it for you.
However - the best option is to find a small local independant watch smith who can do it in 5 minutes while you wait - and hopefully watch. My guy has cleaned several smudged crystals for me (some gen) and never charged more than $10. But I have a good relationship with him. You might expect to pay $20-30 for that service.
See my sig line below for ways to find a good watch smith.
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Really, it's not that hard. We can talk you thru it live if you wish. Have a go, you can't do any real harm that can not be undone by a 'smith if need be.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Check Watchmaker/Horoligist section, I would think Katt or Vac could handle this.
Worth sending them a PM to find out.

msusox80

4/1/11
That's who I thought .... Emails sent... Mind as well kill 2 birds with one stone right?