• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Real Breitling??

peter4103

1/7/17
European Union
I was planning to buy a Breitling chronomat Evolution, model b1335611. Since the buyer only had an invoice, but no original papers I had the watch checked at a jeweler who specializes in used Breitling and Rolex watches. They checked the watch and made some photos. Movement looked legit and also had a serial number engraved.

However, on the caseback of the watch, where the serial number should also be engraved there was nothing there.

I didn’t buy the watch but am quite bumped as I really wanted it.

I am wondering if I made the right decision? There should be a serial number on the case back with this model, right?

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
I had the watch checked at a jeweler who specializes in used Breitling and Rolex watches
You are still unsure about the authenticity of the watch after you had it checked by a jeweler who specializes in Breitling. Did the jeweler tell you the watch is authentic because I don't know why you are asking here. The jeweler deals with them all the time and should go by what he tells you.

peter4103

1/7/17
European Union
The certificate was to authenticate the watch, but he didnt know why the serial number was not on the case. So he did Authenticate it, but then handed it over to the seller who was there before I was. I don’t know…..I am asking if there should be a serial number on the case to the experts on this forum as to understand if its a major issue if its not on the case (also for potential issues when id like to sell the watch in 5-10 years.)

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
the caseback of the watch, where the serial number should also be engraved there was nothing there
Looks like the watch model is engraved on the case back and not a serial number. Took a few seconds to find the answer. Hope that helps to answer your concerns about the watch.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
All Breitlings (post 70’s) have had the model number on the case back standard. This looks legit. It should be rocking a modified (aka branded) 7750 movement. Dial looks right for the period and the rider tabs look solid as well. This is basically an upgraded version of the wind rider model. A solid watch overall.
In summary (without seeing the movement) it looks pretty Gen to me. And I have owned many a wind rider over the years.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
The replicas that I have seen of these two-tone Breitlings (I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a replica of this model) are pretty shitty and of poor quality. This watch looks good. I’m betting it’s genuine. Certainly, a jeweler who “specializes in used Breitling and Rolex watches” should be pretty spot on in his/her assessment.

Reactions: RDRoss

peter4103

1/7/17
European Union
I have no doubt it’s gen, but do have doubts about the serial number not on the case. Hence the question about the location of the serial number and if it’s always there / should always be there?

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Based on the age it should have the production date code located between the lugs . On most (but not all) the serial should be stamped below the model number near the outer caseback. You can find a reference guide online to confirm the serial number ranges easily enough.

Reactions: peter4103

Raazod44

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/23
France
be careful if you take it to a jeweler and to the brand, and he discovers that it is a clone they can keep the watch and call the authorities

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Serial number could just be polished off. Lots of amateur refinishing and unnecessary polishing can make it difficult to read or make it disappear. Looks like the AR has been polished off the top of the crystal too or a replacement crystal used from the pictures. Common. I bought a Breitling from Govbergs and I specifically asked if it had the AR on both sides which they said yes and when I got the watch it was polished off the top of the crystal and still had some parts where it wasn't completely polished off so a really poor polishing job as well. Is the watch now sold?

On the other hand maybe you can ask Breitling if a new case back is something that can be made for the watch if you really liked it and had to have the serial number.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
if you take it to a jeweler and to the brand, and he discovers that it is a clone they can keep the watch

Even if the poster has been banned (😆):

The hilarious urban legend/myth that a jeweler, or any other private, non-government entity, has the authority, the right or permission to confiscate, seize or destroy private property will apparently never die.

• Haha
Reactions: Toolwatchtool