• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Railmaster XXL Crystal Popped Off at High Altitude

RNav

27/6/07
Happy New Year to All!

I just got back into town (Detroit Suburbs) from a San Francisco Wine Country Wedding. I had a slight embarrassing experience on the 12/26/2007 flight to San Francisco. My Railmaster XXL (purchased from Andrew on 11/12/2007) crystal popped off upon reaching high altitude. The crystal did not shatter, it simply popped off of the watch case. This has been my favorite watch and am looking for some suggestions on how to quickly fix this matter. Thanks!

Rob Nav :)

lumpyone

7/1/07
haha the upside to this is that now you know it's airtight.
shouldnt be a problem to re-seat the crystal.
l1

POTR

29/8/07
Well, it WAS gas tight.

Take it to one of those kiosk watch shops that does crystal replacements and have them re-press it and pressure test...

psymetry

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/06
Feel sorry for you bro'..but wish I hadn't have read this.... Now i'm concerned that my Fiddy will pop it's cherry when I fly to Hawaii soon.

Hope you can fix it...but luckily, most Railmasters are quite cheap to replace if the worst comes to the worst.

RNav

27/6/07
POTR said:
Well, it WAS gas tight.

Take it to one of those kiosk watch shops that does crystal replacements and have them re-press it and pressure test...

Will do. I need to find a local "rep-friendly" smith anyways! Good way to "break the ice". Cheers!

Rob Nav

RNav

27/6/07
psymetry said:
Now i'm concerned that my Fiddy will pop it's cherry when I fly to Hawaii soon.

Lesson learned here is to wear your "cabin pressure proven" watch and bring your new watches in your carry-on carefully wrapped in a sock for their first flight. The sock will protect the crystal if it does pop off. Good thing the guy sitting next to me didn't notice. I heard a little click which naturally guided my eyes to my wrist just as the crystal dropped between the seats. I would have never found it otherwise! Andrew gave me the same advise as POTR... find a local smith :D

Rob Nav

Reactions: 4nef995

POTR

29/8/07
Ok, here is what to do next time you're flying with a watch you're not sure about... (I bet your crystal was pressed good, but no adhesive, btw)

Open the crown before takeoff...

When the pilot levels off at cruising altitude, close the crown back up...

Open the crown again on the way down, because you don't want severe negative pressure in the watch to allow the seals to be overcome by excessive exterior pressure... (especially when swimming..) Also, better to equalize the watch gently on the way down, in the relatively dry cabin air, than to do it all at once after you land and are outside in who knows what humidity...

RNav

27/6/07
Whooahhh! My first watch repair complete! I ordered a press and some UV glue from Otto Frei. My Railmaster XXL crystal is now pressed in place with a little glue. So for the price of a basic repair, I acquired a few tools! [smilie=headbang.gif]

R Nav