• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

R2's making of a PO Pearl

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Seanf sent me a PM asking me if I would epoxy on a new pearl to his 42MM PO 3rd gen I believe.

He sent me new inserts with pearls. I looked and thought, I know we can do better than that. They were those canal street flat zits. So, what you see here are random photos that I took during the process. I will do my best to explain and answer any questions you may have. :)

1st I took the bezel off of his watch with one of these:

IMGP3642.jpg

2nd I took the insert out and put away the spring and plunger for the ratcheting of the bezel.
3rd I took the new orange insert and popped out the canal street pearl and sized up what I would need to make sure this fit under the bezel as per the gen.
4th I took some 3MM 304SS rod and chucked it up in the lathe. (My lathe is really to big for this.) That's what she said, bha dha bump tish! :rimshot:
5th I milled down a ledge to about 1.65MM OD to fit into the insert. It was 1.10MM in height. This was due to having enough shoulder to give the pearl height.
6th I milled a 2.5MM OD ledge to act as a stop to prevent the pearl from fall through.
7th I polished and rounded off the edges of the pearl with would be visible.
8th I milled a .047 Inch Flat Flute Mill and made a well for the paint, lume and epoxy.

IMGP5090.jpg

9th, I filed the insert hole to accept the new pearl with a miniature round file. Carefully removing stock.
10th Paint with white paint, lume mixture, V10 GlowInc. 15/20 Particle, then covered with clear epoxy.
11th I filed out some space on the bezel to all allow for shoulder clearance.
12th I Used GS Cement to glue the insert back in.

End Result.

IMGP5102.jpg

IMGP5103-1.jpg

IMGP5106.jpg

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
R2! My hero!

There is NO WAY I could do any of that, but man, that is one hell of a job you did there.

Now, let me be the first to ask the obvious questions that you just know are going to follow from everyone else...

"Will you do mine?" and "How much?"

;)

EDIT: My hundredth post! Whoop Whoop! Ha! it only took me 5 months!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
I am going to send you my SUB

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
You know, R2 went WAAAAY above and beyond the call here with my PO. The pearl fell off, and I just asked if someone had a spare they could glue on. R2 volunteered, and I got the watch back in much better condition than it was when I bought it. Of course, now that he's outed himself as a closest modder, I fully expect R2's PM box to fill up with "Can you fix the sunken datewheel and bad font on my HBB?" messages soon.

But many, many thanks, R2. Fantastic job.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sean, the pleasure was all mine Sir. :) I am going to leave the date-wheel mod on the HBB to Fransisco, I think. :)

@ Roo, thanks brother. :)

@ Guru, any time. I will wear it for testing. ;)

kohanjj

21/6/10
Very nice work.

Have a job I'd like to talk to R2 about, but says he's not accepting PMs.

R2, if you're out there, and accepting PMs, please PM me so I can PM you <grin>

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Kudos on the work you put into this.

I have to complain that the shots of the actual pearl are not very well focused, and from what I can see, the hole that the pearl sits in looks like it got messed up a little on the 3 o'clock side.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Thanks for the feedbag/back Thinkbachs. ;) Yeah, I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I try. I didn't intend to get them off focused either, there are just too many settings on my camera and I am not sure how to optimize it every single time. Hence some pics are good, some are bad. I need to work on the lume steps next.

Here is round 4.

IMGP5671.jpg

IMGP5670.jpg

rychastings

2/10/10
wow thats really amazing R2! The pearl just fell off of my SMP rep. Is the process similar or do you have any spare pearls lying around that I could use?