• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

R2D4's Seamaster He Valve Mod Thread

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Ladies and Gents, it has been what I feel like an eternity since I have posted anything about modding Seamaster's. I just haven't had the time. I still don't, I am busier now than I ever have been. This will take some time to do and we won't know overnight.

In the back of my mind I have always wondered if the Helium Valve could be relocated. I have asked many laser welding and jewelry repair companies if they can can help me out and I always got the same 2 responses. Our machines cost too much to mess with small projects and complete silence. Well all this time went by and one cool day in March I found someone to help me out. Please don't PM me and ask who it is or the cost. I don't know if this will work and I don't know what it will cost. (Economically speaking) It's a small shop and they don't want to be flooded with too many "1" off requests. It's will be better to batch them. I hate to see you ruin a perfectly good watch case.

Anyway, there are 2 cases I gave them to weld. They used a laser welder and the discoloration is from the welding process and can be buffed out. It did not discolor the metal or distort the cases in any way. I tested it and the metal is unchanged. The 2 cases are ETA cases that have good lugs and hole spacing for gen straps. The crown gaurds are shorter than the gen but not to bad. I figured on tackling that on another day.

Here is one photo for you to look at. The middle case is the closed factory case that I will use to determine the proper location.

IMGP4186.jpg

I will post more later.

Cheers,

R2

johnzalez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/07
Oh yeeeah. I like where this is going...

Don't keep us in suspense too long! :mrgreen:

Hyster

29/7/06
Now this could be interesting, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

gasdoc

Certified
26/11/06
I've thought about trying this one a couple of different ways, but...

I may be missing something, but isn't the case from the GMT the same except for there is no valve?

Might be easier to start with that and drill it for the valve.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
gasdoc said:
I've thought about trying this one a couple of different ways, but...

I may be missing something, but isn't the case from the GMT the same except for there is no valve?

Might be easier to start with that and drill it for the valve.

The problem with the GMT is the crown guards and the crown. The crown is buried. You could build it up I suppose. There is a watch on WatchEden that could be a good candiate but it's a 21j Mineral watch and I think the case might be from a GMT, no sure though.

http://www.watcheden.com/omega-seamaste ... 4-p-1.html

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
rei said:
IMO, drilling the GMT is the way to go. Some of the GMT have large crown guards...like SoCal's GMT here:

http://www.socaltimer.com/product_info. ... cts_id=276

Moving an existing He is just not cost effective...u may as well get a gen case for 600 at ofrei or a used gen.

That is a 21j case with a mineral crystal. You are correct in that it's the most cost effective but it's not what I am after here. I should also mention I am pretty sure this mod will be under 100/watch. I do have the gen as well. :D And the 600 case at Otto is like 650 now. So big difference IMO. This mod is directed at people who already have a watch and want it modified. It could be 21J/Mineral or ETA/Sapphire case.

It might not work. It might work. It might not be the way to go. It might be the way to go. We won't know till we try. :wink:

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
This would be good news for modding the PO and the bond SMP. I'd be interesting in relocating the He valve on 2 watches, but this method is probably real expensive.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
amptor said:
This would be good news for modding the PO and the bond SMP. I'd be interesting in relocating the He valve on 2 watches, but this method is probably real expensive.

I did get the bill yesterday for these. It's was under 100 for each. Not including the milling which I will do myself. He has not answered me yet on lots of 5-10-20. So real expensive to me might be different to others, I realize that. This is my dime this go around so no one else is harmed. :wink:

Omega007

Horology Curious
27/3/09
I'm on with mine at the moment.

I currently have a good case with no HE and re-shaped cg's.

Just a bit more work on the case and then it's a gen dial, hands and Seagul 2824.