• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick advice needed!

countit

22/5/10
Cigar experts-

Please help. My brother sent me a fresh box of Romeo y Julietas. AND, I don't have a humidor!

Of course, I need to get one but what can i do now to keep the box fresh?

Also, if they dry out a bit, can they be 'revived'?

Thank you for any advice!

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Count, my advice would be to pick up a Boveda pack (or 2) from here:

http://www.bovedapacks.com/catalog.aspx?catid=1

Put a pack into a ziploc bag, add your cigars, zip it tight, put it into another ziploc bag, zip it tight, and put the whole thing into a dresser drawer or a closet - someplace with little temperature variation.

When you get your humidor, you'll have to season it - easiest way is to use another Boveda pack (they have seasoning ones available) to get it properly moisturized - it takes a couple weeks. When you're ready, transfer your cigars from the ziploc into the humidor, add another Boveda pack, and you're good to go for months.

I know I sound like a Boveda rep, but they're really easy to use, and they eliminate all the guesswork.

There are other, faster methods out there. Maty or dusty should be by soon, and they have a lot of good experience and knowledge to draw from.

Good luck, and congratulations on the R&Js. Those are some of my favorite smokes.

Will

countit

22/5/10
Thank you, gentlemen.

I opened the box to follow your advice, Will. I was somewhat relieved to see that the cigars are in individual metal cases and packaged in plastic. I don't really see whether there is a humidification pack of some kind but they are wrapped.

Do you think the factory packaging should cover me for the next couple weeks until I get a humidor?

Mark

(Crappy pic)
picture.php

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Mmm. Well, count, I can't be sure. Maybe you should bundle it up and ship it off to Wisconsin. I'll check it out for you, and even loan you some space in my humidor. When you're ready, I'll ship them back to you. I promise. :D

Seriously, the seal on the tubes should keep them at correct RH. The thing to avoid will be temperature variations. Maty and I had a conversation about this a while back - he has a cigar in a metal tube back from around Jesus' time. Get your humidor, get it seasoned and ready to go, and you'll be in good shape.

Will

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Each tube has a seal in it like a vote of salad dressing. Frankly you don't even need a humidor for those. Very nice gift BTW.

Get yourself a humi though. You'll love these and will want more.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Concur on the tubos being sealed up. In a pinch, a ziplock bag or tupperware with a Boveda pack, humidifier,humidifying crystal jar, etc will keep them for a while. The cedar in a proper humi imparts some great flavor to the smokes while they age though, which is reason enough to get one. As has been stated, you'll have to season it for a while for the wood to retain humidity. I'd also recommend a digital hygrometer to keep tabs on your RH level.

CI has a humi starter pack with a decent humi, humidification, and a cutter...all you'll need is some boveda packs and a hygrometer:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CISP01

EDIT: Protip: In your address bar, type in cigarsintl(dot)com/shfree11 and you'll get free shipping too. Note please that you have to type this into the browser, you can't link to it and get it IIRC.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
The cedar in a proper humi imparts some great flavor to the smokes while they age though...........

Not exactly but your on the right track. Spanish cedar offers the following advantages.

First and most importantly it offers protection from tobacco worms – through the cedar’s special odoriferous quality

Secondly, it has high humidity absorption capacity – this ensures that a stable climate will be maintained inside the humidor and mold is prevented. In simple English it has the ability to absorb AND reject humidity just like a humidifying propylene glycol element.

These two things properly support the cigar aging process.

The cedar also has a positive effect on the*flavor of the cigars due to it's very neutral scent. "Strong" American and Canadian cedar has a very powerful scent and is not the best liner for humidors. If provides the same protection and humidity advantages as Spanish cedar but imparts too much flavor into the cigars. Most cheaper humidors have American cedar in them. If your serious enough about cigars too buy a box or more your serious enough to demand Spanish cedar.

Sorry to be super anal about the matter but I like cigars and reps about the same. :)

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Not exactly but your on the right track. Spanish cedar offers the following advantages.

First and most importantly it offers protection from tobacco worms – through the cedar’s special odoriferous quality

Secondly, it has high humidity absorption capacity – this ensures that a stable climate will be maintained inside the humidor and mold is prevented. In simple English it has the ability to absorb AND reject humidity just like a humidifying propylene glycol element.

These two things properly support the cigar aging process.

The cedar also has a positive effect on the*flavor of the cigars due to it's very neutral scent. "Strong" American and Canadian cedar has a very powerful scent and is not the best liner for humidors. If provides the same protection and humidity advantages as Spanish cedar but imparts too much flavor into the cigars. Most cheaper humidors have American cedar in them. If your serious enough about cigars too buy a box or more your serious enough to demand Spanish cedar.

Sorry to be super anal about the matter but I like cigars and reps about the same. :)

No offense taken, I appreciate the clarification. I agree, and make it a point to have Spanish cedar linings in all my humidors.