• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Questions about Monaco Rep

NoShenanigans19

Supporter
29/3/22
USA
I always liked the Heuer Monaco “Steve McQueen” (or if you prefer The Walter White). I was looking into the one offered at TrustyTime and I’m fine with it being a working chronograph using a quartz movement. But I have 2 questions and I’m hoping someone can help me with the answers.

1) On a gen there are 2 pushers and 1 crown. On the rep there are 2 pushers and 2 crowns. In the video on Trusty's site they never use the larger crown… the one on the left. All the date and time settings are used from the smaller crown between the two pushers. So what is that larger crown on the left used for?
https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_214&products_id=20657
I tend to think it was a cheap way of making it look like a gen without changing the movement inside. Which would mean that crown doesn’t even move. Am I correct?

2) Clearly, they spelled “Anniversary” wrong on the case back. Can that piece be removed or replaced? Other versions of the watch have just a metal case back. Can we ask them to change that out for a Monaco metal case back like the other versions or do I need to buy 2 watches?

NoShenanigans19

Supporter
29/3/22
USA
There are no good versions of this watch worth spending money on. Better off grabbing a gen.

Thanks for the advice. I get that it’s not up to par like a Rolex rep vs a Rolex gen. So I’m well aware it’s a rep and even for $150 (or $200 with shipping) it seems worth it. I highly doubt we are going to see a big push to rep this watch any time soon based on demand versus other brands and models. I don’t have a problem with using a more accurate quartz movement. My gen Tag is a quartz. I was really just asking to see what others have done (aka mod'd) or thought about when it came to this version of the Monaco with my 2 questions.

But Thank you and I agree… a gen of this watch may be in my future at some point!

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
The crown on the left has no function, the “hidden” pull out crown on the right is functional, as you say a cheap way to use an existing movement.

If you can live with a pretty poor/not accurate rep then go for it.

Reactions: NoShenanigans19