• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question: warm up routine?

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Maybe Q can help me.:unsure:

Just would like to know how and how long you warm up before hitting the first balls.
Background is i have the feeling of being to short in time and maybe not making the correct moves. Results in not feeling "relaxed" at the first tee sometimes...

So how do the Pros warm up for play???

Thanks already:golf:

Co-ax

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
co-ax: I think Q must be at the 19th hole. :)

rhounsell

Known Member
16/12/11
I can't tell you what the pros do but for me in the last couple years I realized I was going about it all wrong.
I used to get to the range before my round and immediately start pounding long irons and driver thinking I could "work on something" before my round.
I've now realized you can't really change anything before your round starts.
My new system that I've adopted in the last two seasons has helped me a lot:

1. Some quick light stretching (touching toes, hip turns...etc) 1-2min.
2. Short/Mid wedge shots (get the feel for your approach game) 4-5min.
3. Putting green (figure out the speeds for the day, this helped me a lot) 4-5min
4. Mid/Long irons (not many shots, just get a sense of what your flight is that day) 3-4min
5. Driver (just a few again, don't get caught up on swing thoughts) 3-4min
6. A bit of active stretching (hopping, swinging arms...etc)
7. Hit whatever shot you will hit on the first tee

Tee it up.

Hope this atleast helps a little, I'm no pro but this routine can be done in as little as 15min or stretched out to 30min and I have no first tee jitters now.
If I have less time then that I start taking away the long irons and driver and increase the active stretching. But still keep in the 1st tee practice shot. Before I would have cut out the putting and wedge play which I feel was the exact opposite of what I should have been doing.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Thanks for the input mate, will try out this routine - it' s different to mine but that's what i was looking for - Change :)

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Light stretching for about 5 mins and work my way up slowly through the bag to my 2 iron. I normally hit the putting green to chip and putt for a least a half an hour. Getting to know the green speed and feel is far more important than any shot you'll hit on the range.

I'll head back to the mats and hit 2-3 3 woods and about the same drivers before teeing off.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Light stretching for about 5 mins and work my way up slowly through the bag to my 2 iron..

WoW frig I'm impressed that you carry a 2 iron. Seems like the trend is for hybrids now instead of the long irons. I find that a 4 iron is getting hard for me to hit now. Then again I still have forged blade irons with steel shafts :frusty:

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
WoW frig I'm impressed that you carry a 2 iron. Seems like the trend is for hybrids now instead of the long irons. I find that a 4 iron is getting hard for me to hit now. Then again I still have forged blade irons with steel shafts :frusty:

Now i am impressed, forged blade steel needs a really, really solid, stable an very repeatable swing :)

You must be a very talented golfer cybee :)

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09

I have always hit long irons well. I too have ultra small forged blades. I find I can't move the ball with oversized irons. I've owned tons of sets but always go back to one of 2 sets of blades.