• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question regarding servicing

Graffizy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/16
Hello friends, I am about to buy my first 2 reps. One of them is a Seamaster with a Swiss ETA Movement 2824-2 and the other one would be an Asia 7750 Valjoux. Do they both need servicing at the very beginning to ensure that they stay healthy and the Asian movement even worth it? Thanks for you help, I appreciate it!

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
IMO, when it arrives, wear it for a while. All mechanicals will need some break-in time to settle down. While you wear it, keep track of how many seconds it gains or loses per day, and also document for yourself how much reserve time it has. If after this trial period you feel it is not keeping time well or the reserve is inadequate, a watchmaker might help. The results of your documentation will help your watchmaker know what to look for.

Graffizy

4/8/16
IMO, when it arrives, wear it for a while. All mechanicals will need some break-in time to settle down. While you wear it, keep track of how many seconds or gains or loses per day, and also document for yourself how much reserve time it has. If after this trial period you feel it is not keeping time well or the reserve is inadequate, a watchmaker might help. The results of your documentation will help your watchmaker know what to look for.

Thanks for your quick reply and advice! I've come across several posts during my research process regarding the different movements proposing that the Asian 7750 movement has a fairly high failure rate and is more complicated to deal with, especially for a beginner. Can you or anyone else confirm this?

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
A7750 movements are OK. Not as workhorse as the 2800 series but definitely not as bad as people make them out to be. Just avoid using the chrono and have it serviced once it begins to fail (if you plan on keeping the watch).

Graffizy

4/8/16
Heres a nice review of the 7750: http://www.watchreport.co/7750-asian-eta-replica-watches.html

I'm curious what you are getting that is represented to have a genuine Swiss ETA Movement 2824-2 in it? Thats a fairly expensive movement for a starter rep - with the movement itself going for between $250 and 300 on eBay (new)

It's an omega seamaster professional from one of our trusted dealers at about 350, was wondering as well why it is so cheap with this movement, so it might not be a legit one I guess.

So would you guys recommend getting the Asian 7750 chrono (really like the model - MB Meisterstück) or find another model with a different movement?

Sent from the RWI mobile app

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
It's an omega seamaster professional from one of our trusted dealers at about 350, was wondering as well why it is so cheap with this movement, so it might not be a legit one I guess.

So would you guys recommend getting the Asian 7750 chrono (really like the model - MB Meisterstück) or find another model with a different movement?

Thats such a personal choice its hard to say what you should do, but I can tell you what I do with these Daytona reps. I've been buying inexpensive ones (under $200), putting them right on my wrist with no service, then using them until I see they are getting slow or losing their reserve. That usually takes a year or two. Then I buy another one. Right now I have four retired ones sitting in a drawer. My plan with them is to crack the little beasts open and try my hand at modding them a bit. I specifically want to get a few similar ones so that if I destroy it, I can apply what I learned to my next attempt. I see Daytonas as a compromise to begin with, none of them are super sweet to my eye (but I like them enough) so I'm taking the low road with them.

Now, I do have some higher end reps, and those I have professionally serviced after about 6 months - to me thats long enough to be sure I'm going to wear them and not stick them in a drawer. IMO, theres no sense servicing a piece thats just going to sit till the oils dry out (or I sell it or give it away) anyhow.

But if you feel better about jumping right onto service, by all means go for it. Even the best rep is not assembled in a sterile room by suited up dudes. I've stood over my watchmaker and he's pointed out a lot of dirt, skin flakes, fibers, and tiny metal shavings in each and every rep I've brought him. I mean that literally. Out of maybe 30 reps I've had, none of them were as good as they could be.

They will all benefit from immediate service - thats why I want to learn how to do more of this stuff myself. My goal is to be good enough to confidently and on my own do a complete cleaning and oiling as soon as I get a new rep. I'm learning - slowly.

My watchmakers tells me that servicing your own watches isn't rocket science. Since they are yours, you can take exceptional care and a lot of time with each watch.

He says that what sets his skill level apart from mine (and I've fiddled under his supervision already) is that he can do what I do in 1/10th the time. And you have to be not only good but FAST to make money at it.

Thats what sets the pros apart from the amateurs = speed

Graffizy

4/8/16
Thats such a personal choice its hard to say what you should do, but I can tell you what I do with these Daytona reps. I've been buying inexpensive ones (under $200), putting them right on my wrist with no service, then using them until I see they are getting slow or losing their reserve. That usually takes a year or two. Then I buy another one. Right now I have four retired ones sitting in a drawer. My plan with them is to crack the little beasts open and try my hand at modding them a bit. I specifically want to get a few similar ones so that if I destroy it, I can apply what I learned to my next attempt. I see Daytonas as a compromise to begin with, none of them are super sweet to my eye (but I like them enough) so I'm taking the low road with them.

Now, I do have some higher end reps, and those I have professionally serviced after about 6 months - to me thats long enough to be sure I'm going to wear them and not stick them in a drawer. IMO, theres no sense servicing a piece thats just going to sit till the oils dry out (or I sell it or give it away) anyhow.

But if you feel better about jumping right onto service, by all means go for it. Even the best rep is not assembled in a sterile room by suited up dudes. I've stood over my watchmaker and he's pointed out a lot of dirt, skin flakes, fibers, and tiny metal shavings in each and every rep I've brought him. I mean that literally. Out of maybe 30 reps I've had, none of them were as good as they could be.

They will all benefit from immediate service - thats why I want to learn how to do more of this stuff myself. My goal is to be good enough to confidently and on my own do a complete cleaning and oiling as soon as I get a new rep. I'm learning - slowly.

My watchmakers tells me that servicing your own watches isn't rocket science. Since they are yours, you can take exceptional care and a lot of time with each watch.

He says that what sets his skill level apart from mine (and I've fiddled under his supervision already) is that he can do what I do in 1/10th the time. And you have to be not only good but FAST to make money at it.

Thats what sets the pros apart from the amateurs = speed

Greatly appreciate your in depth response, definitely helped me. Last question where do you guys usually get them serviced? Are their special watch smiths that focus on reps? Thanks

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
I just took one of mine and walked into small local watchmakers who didn't sell the brand, told them that I had been given this "replica" by a friend who got it in Asia and could he maybe take a look at it. Most were curious. I picked the guy I enjoyed talking to and who would let me watch while he worked. Sometimes now I source parts or complete movements for my repairs off eBay or elsewhere and he teaches me as he does the work. Sourcing my own replacement movements when needed allows me greater control over costs - and in a couple situations I've significantly upgraded quality to gen Swiss by buying "used junk" off eBay my watchmaker can restore to like-new. Practically everything I've got now is a franken of some sort... gens that now have aftermarket parts on them and reps that have gen parts. Its a disease ;-)

Greatly appreciate your in depth response, definitely helped me. Last question where do you guys usually get them serviced? Are their special watch smiths that focus on reps? Thanks

Graffizy

4/8/16
I just took one of mine and walked into small local watchmakers who didn't sell the brand, told them that I had been given this "replica" by a friend who got it in Asia and could he maybe take a look at it. Most were curious. I picked the guy I enjoyed talking to and who would let me watch while he worked. Sometimes now I source parts or complete movements for my repairs off eBay or elsewhere and he teaches me as he does the work. Sourcing my own replacement movements when needed allows me greater control over costs - and in a couple situations I've significantly upgraded quality to gen Swiss by buying "used junk" off eBay my watchmaker can restore to like-new. Practically everything I've got now is a franken of some sort... gens that now have aftermarket parts on them and reps that have gen parts. Its a disease ;-)

How much would you estimate it'd cost me to service it in the beginning. 200€ each?

Also have to say I'm really impressed by the detailed responses and generous help from you guys! Thanks!

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
Cost is highly variable depending on if you use a jewelry store watchmaker with a lot of overhead or a "shadetree" guy who has a bench in his spare room. I end up paying between $35 USD (rock bottom) and $85 USD for movements with more parts unless he finds junky internals that need time consuming replacement. Often if he finds crap in there, I'll either put it in a drawer as a "parts watch" or if I really like it I'll troll eBay for a replacement movement he can shoehorn in there instead. Unless you have something really special there like a genuine Swiss, theres no way in hell I'd drop 200€ on a routine service - but thats just me. I'm into reps in large part to get away from the requirement for expensive service. Even with valuable gens, I send them to Central Watch in Grand Central Terminal (NYC) because I get a lot of bang for my buck there. I respect the need for adequate service, but the less I spend on decent quality work, the more I have to spend on my habit of acquiring new watches and more Chelsea ships clocks ;-) *

* and yes, even with the Chelsea clocks I keep and display - I franken the heck out of them, buying inexpensive Chinese movements to retrofit the dead ones I find on eBay. Then I sell the salvaged gen parts to amateurs and pros who need them to fix rare 100% correct gens. Some of my boating friends prefer my frankens by far for use in a marine environment because they are more robust than the originals :D

How much would you estimate it'd cost me to service it in the beginning. 200€ each?

Also have to say I'm really impressed by the detailed responses and generous help from you guys! Thanks!

hsaeed

Known Member
18/2/13
Cost is highly variable depending on if you use a jewelry store watchmaker with a lot of overhead or a "shadetree" guy who has a bench in his spare room. I end up paying between $35 USD (rock bottom) and $85 USD for movements with more parts unless he finds junky internals that need time consuming replacement. Often if he finds crap in there, I'll either put it in a drawer as a "parts watch" or if I really like it I'll troll eBay for a replacement movement he can shoehorn in there instead. Unless you have something really special there like a genuine Swiss, theres no way in hell I'd drop 200€ on a routine service - but thats just me. I'm into reps in large part to get away from the requirement for expensive service. Even with valuable gens, I send them to Central Watch in Grand Central Terminal (NYC) because I get a lot of bang for my buck there. I respect the need for adequate service, but the less I spend on decent quality work, the more I have to spend on my habit of acquiring new watches and more Chelsea ships clocks ;-) *

* and yes, even with the Chelsea clocks I keep and display - I franken the heck out of them, buying inexpensive Chinese movements to retrofit the dead ones I find on eBay. Then I sell the salvaged gen parts to amateurs and pros who need them to fix rare 100% correct gens. Some of my boating friends prefer my frankens by far for use in a marine environment because they are more robust than the originals :D
Hi XAD, I take it that you are from NYC? I am actually looking for someone to service one of my AP Noob versions but dont have much luck finding someone who would be willing to do it. I would greatly appreciate if you have any input on this? Thanks in advance! I think it might be because of the 7750 movements and then extra gears to move the seconds to 12...

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
Hi XAD, I take it that you are from NYC? I am actually looking for someone to service one of my AP Noob versions but dont have much luck finding someone who would be willing to do it. I would greatly appreciate if you have any input on this? Thanks in advance! I think it might be because of the 7750 movements and then extra gears to move the seconds to 12...

Its been years since I've lived in the City, but when I was there I used to rely upon Central Watch, 45th Street Passage, Grand Central Terminal (which I mentioned above) and I still send them watches for repair. They might work on a nicer rep too - I'm not sure.

What I've done with reps, personally, is ship them off to Ohio Watch Repair - they do a nice job at a decent price. If you Google "Ohio Watch Repair" and "Replica" you'll find them.

A lot of watch repair guys are wary of the Asian 7750, unfortunately. Even the original Valjoux 7750's were know to be "Efficiently Made, Hard to Repair"

http://www.chronomaddox.com/valjoux_7750_engine.html#Efficiently_Made,_Hard_to_Repair

You _may_ have more luck if you source a replacement movement then explain to a prospective watchmaker that what you seek is to swap that movement into your old case.

If you decide to go that way, the TD you bought the watch from may be able to source it for you, or check with some of the more knowledgeable members here who dabble in repairs. You'll find 7750's on eBay as well... but ask more questions in the Brand forum to be sure you are getting exactly what you need.

Valjoux 7750 Chinese equivalent* = CousinsUK Reference: CH3LZF2M