• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about wearing a rep to AD

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
We all hear and know that wearing a rep to a gen is a big no-no.
I get why that is true.
But, I'm wondering if people may wear a rep to an AD if it's a different brand? Say, I'm in an IWC boutique. Would you still say it's a big no-no to be wearing, say, a well-made PAM rep?
Not that I would do it, I just got curious.
Thanks!

acer8000

Known Member
21/3/12
Just out of curiosity as well and no intention on thread jacking, but why is it disproved of wearing a rep to a AD? Like what if the rep was a very good rep for example the explorer 36mm 1 with very minimum flaws to the gen?

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
waiting to see how this pans out.
:bbq::popcorn:
Interested in what others have to say.

TimeFlys

17/2/12
From what I gather, it mostly comes down to the unwanted attention of our hobby. It boils down to the fact that the replica watch market is illegal. What we call replicas, the law deems counterfeit. Again will the AD salesman/woman notice that your super rep is not a gen? Depends, they could be an expert of said brand or to the contrary and not know the first thing. You also can't predict how they would react if they discovered you were wearing a replica, would they out you publicly; or keep it to themselves? Either way it can be considered unwanted attention.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
Just out of curiosity as well and no intention on thread jacking, but why is it disproved of wearing a rep to a AD? Like what if the rep was a very good rep for example the explorer 36mm 1 with very minimum flaws to the gen?

People here can spot a rep even with its minor flaws. Seasoned AD's will be able to spot it as well. They will likely report that to its HQ, and the HQ might enforce its counterfeit crackdown a lot harder by pressuring large companies that we might use, like PP. From what I hear, the reason now we can't put anything on its comments section when we send money using PP is a company--I think Hublot--pressured PP.

Also, what we are doing is illegal; we wouldn't want to draw attention to what we're doing, would we? I guess this in part answers my question.

Also, thread jacking isn't encouraged :lol1:

Calibre16

31/1/12
I had that rule even before joining this forum. I went to check out some AP's and I was wearing my cheap priceangels Submariner. I knew the store didn't sell any Rolexes so I kept it on. I was treated very well at the store, and nobody commented on my watch.

However, I walked by another watch store a few days layer. I saw that they had a bunch of Tags, Montblancs and Omegas in their window. I wanted to go into the store but since I was wearing a rep Omega Seamaster, I decided not to.

For me personally, I feel uncomfortable walking into a store when I know the staff is very likely to see that I'm wearing a rep. I want to be treated nicely etc, and not have to worry about anything when being in the store. So my personal rule is this; If the store sells what I'm currently wearing, I'll either take the watch off and put it in my pocket or I'll simply not walk into the store. However, if I know for a fact that they don't sell the brand I'm wearing at that time, I have no problems walking in and being in the store for a long time.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
People seem to forget that some of the watch companies are owned by a single group. For example, you might just have the unlucky chance that a Swatch group expert is in the Breguet boutique and you are wearing the latest and greatest Omega PO rep. Omega and Breguet are both owned by the Swatch group of companies, among other brands like Blancpain, Glashutte, Tiffany, Jacquet Droz and Hamilton, just to mention a few.

The rules were set forth to keep the hobby and its enthusiasts safe. Let's not tempt fate and make it harder for everyone else, not to mention make it more expensive to get reps.

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
I agree but sometimes ill walk into a store go straight to the watches like a kid on Christmas and completely forget to take my watch off, if I get any attention I play it very very casual.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I tend to think it's bad form, and out of respect to the AD, I always put my rep in my pocket.

jamesfl

21/5/12
Keep in mind that many of the employees that work at AD's have worked for various AD 's at one time or another. The last time I was at my local Rolex AD, the sales person told me that she used to work at a Cartier Store. Same thing happened at the Tag AD, the sales person told me that she worked at an IWC AD prevoiusly.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Keep in mind that many of the employees that work at AD's have worked for various AD 's at one or another. The last time I was at my local Rolex AD, the sales person told me that she used to work at a Cartier Store. Same thing happened at the Tag AD, the sales person told me that she worked at an IWC AD prevoiusly.

Good point. Thanks for making it.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
Keep in mind that many of the employees that work at AD's have worked for various AD 's at one time or another. The last time I was at my local Rolex AD, the sales person told me that she used to work at a Cartier Store. Same thing happened at the Tag AD, the sales person told me that she worked at an IWC AD prevoiusly.

Do you think, say a Rolex AD spotted a rep on his/her customer's wrist--and let's say it was a Hublot--would notify Hublot on the matter; and in the end make our lives harder?
No matter what the answer is, I don't plan on doing so, but I just got curious.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Do you think, say a Rolex AD spotted a rep on his/her customer's wrist--and let's say it was a Hublot--would notify Hublot on the matter; and in the end make our lives harder?
No matter what the answer is, I don't plan on doing so, but I just got curious.

You're missing the point: It's not about phone calls to Switzerland or even public admonishment. It's just rude to wear a rep into an AD. Any rep, any AD. My opinion and that of others here.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
You're missing the point: It's not about phone calls to Switzerland or even public admonishment. It's just rude to wear a rep into an AD. Any rep, any AD. My opinion and that of others here.

I guess one could be being rude by wearing a rep to an AD.
But then the question I would have, then, would be:
Why is wearing any rep to any gen considered rude, even when all of the other factors are not considered?

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California

This reason resonates most with me. Kind of a dick move to go in there and try to fool the AD, or brag about it after, or even have it so other customers can see and maybe even try to compare to the gens. It's not some magic anti-rep force field, just common courtesy.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I guess one could be being rude by wearing a rep to an AD.
But then the question I would have, then, would be:
Why is wearing any rep to any gen considered rude, even when all of the other factors are not considered?

It's an opinion shared by some members here that we should simply be discreet and considerate when we are in a place of business devoted to the promotion/preservation of a watch brand.

There are numerous threads where this is discussed in detail. Including those where Col states his position on this.

I take it even further: I don't wear reps outside my home.