• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about a quartz chrono

bergs333

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/4/06
I just purchased a Tag Formula 1 from WBK, and I love the look and feel of the watch, and am quite happy with it and don't necessarily need to change anything. That being said, the movement doesn't work like the original. The 2:00 dial counts the seconds, the 10:00 counts the minutes on the chrono, and the 6:00 just moves with the date, and the chrono does work. The original has 1/10th seconds at 2:00 position, minutes at 10:00, and running seconds at the 6:00 position. I can live with it as it is, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it is possible to swap the movement for the correct one. I was looking around a bit and saw an ETA quartz chrono: ETA G10.21A that looks like it would fit, but I'm not sure. Would the hands from the current movement fit the replacement? Would the replacement movement fit in the watch? Probably the most important question, is it very difficult to replace the movement in a quartz watch.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
If the chrono is not working you should let Stan know. Quartz mvmnts are cheap though. Whether or not it will fit easily is something one of the other members will have to help you with. Good luck.

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
You can find quartz reps that have actual chrono functions.

Like this one.

ta2md5.jpg

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was saying that the chrono function was supposed to work but does not. I haven't seen a Quartz chrono that did not function, unless broken.

bergs333

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/4/06
The chrono function does work, just not like the gen does. The gen has 3 sub-dials that count 1/10th sec, seconds, and minutes. The rep sub-dials count seconds, minutes, and the third dial moves with the date. The large chrono second hand moves just as it should when the top chrono button is pushed, and it will keep track of seconds and minutes just fine. I believe the watch is functioning as it was meant to (not broken or defective), it was just given a movement that is not true to the gen. Also if there is no easy way to switch movements then I will be happy with a great looking watch. I guess I have just started to get a little curious about opening up the watches and fixing, repairing, and modding them, and am wondering if it would be possible to swap out a quartz chrono movement?

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Hey Bergs, open that sucker up! No better way to get past the first hurdle.