• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quartz SMP?

marketman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/8/07
Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but I've never seen a rep of the quartz SMP.
Omega does make it, the model 2221.80. It seems to me that it would be a great everyday 'go to' watch for Omega enthusiasts. The watch you could grab off of your dresser any time and know that it would be running accurately without any adjustments, and yet have the satisfaction of knowing that your wearing an Omega model that exists as a genuine. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marketman

maxquillen

Looking Around
17/11/09
I'm a bit of a noob here myself, but not to watch collecting. I think Omega offers some of the best deals in gen watches. I like the Omega quartz Seamaster, too. I'm not a watch purist, and I like the accuracy, and having a watch I don't have to reset or keep in a winder.

All that aside, a preowned gen Omega quartz watch can be had for about $500 hundred more than a good quality Omega automatic rep (quartz rep doesn't exist), and it will depreciate little after that. There is very little point to buying a rep Omega quartz if one existed. Be patient and wait for a gen to come along at the right price if you want an Omega quartz. One of the watchmakers here did at one point ask about what demand there might be for an Omega quartz rep, I'd be curious to know what they decided, and whether or not my analysis is wrong.

This rep thing is quite interesting. After buying an Omega PO rep that's nice, I find myself wanting a gen even more...doh.

ryr-rolex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/09
I have always preferred automatic watches, in every film where a Rolex or Omega was used you would always get the sweeping hand and I love it! I quite like the automatic version of the Seamaster forementioned, but I hear it isn't replicated widely?

But then I love the orange bezel planet ocean even more!!!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Fakemaster?

I remember that (I also remember there not being a ton of interest). Personally, I like my quartz as much as my autos for exactly the opposite reasons. I don't recall posting any comments to Fakey's build back then, but I do kinda recall that it was built with auto parts (I am specifically referring to the dial). Interestingly enough, Omega quartz watches have subtle differences from their auto brothers. For example, the 2264 dial does not say "chornometer" as the auto does (it has only 3 lines) - and on the Black Bond auto the red "seamaster" print is under the "omega" symbol and print while the quartz has the red "seamaster" printed below the hands. I know these are small differences (and I'm normally not the anal WIS, as most of my reps are the 21j budget models), but it seems to me it may be a lot of work to duplicate those obvious differences that Omega incorporates between the autos and quartz since us quartz lovers are usually in the minority. If someone was going to make a pre-orded run of them with the proper changes I might get in on it.