• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quality questions???

dog-man

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/11
Hi,
I am new to the rep watch game!

I was considering buying a $62 rep seamaster 300m from Silix and saw they jump in price to $208 for the swiss movement and saphire crystal. This is a big jump in price for my first entry into the rep watches.

I don't want to cheap out too much and then be turned off the rep watches!

So is the $148 option from trevorwatches a compromise which gets me a nice watch to get me started off. It comes with a saphire crystal so I'm guessing should feel and look more like the big $$$ watch its a rep of?

thanks,
Caine.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Hello dog-man and welcome to the forum...

First of all i fully understand your second thoughts on spending much $ on the first purchase... But believe me this will happen soon or later!

About the watch you chose, i would sugest you to avoid the swiss one. There are many topics about the issue and how you may end with a repaired/old one. There are of course dealers who can get a swiss one if you want...

My advise is to choose the asian clone movement, which is a very good movement overall and if/when it dies you can just swap for another clone or eta if you want to upgrade. So yes the 148$ would get you a nice one to start off. If you like post a link to see which one you are talking about.

dog-man

27/12/11
I should also tell you I have a seiko skx007 auto divers watch which costs $150 so I'm expecting a similar level of quality.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well i am not familiar with the seiko you are refering to so as to give you an opinion, but from another point of view you will pay 150$ for a rep of a watch that costs lets say 3000$.
If you see it that way i am sure you will be amazed of the watch you will get...

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I'd have to recommend the better one, unless you have access to a friendly watchmaker. For any kind of longevity, the cheaper movements require servicing virtually as soon as you get them.

Also some of the cheapo 45mm cases have a 20mm bracelet/lug width.

Whatever you end up doing, if you go black bezel, it's going to be a bit ordinary. Orange is better constructed. Of all of them, the 42mm is the best 'out of the box'.

dog-man

27/12/11
Thanks for all the reply's.

This is the watch I am considering:

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...-blue-asian-84501?t=84501&highlight=seamaster

I'd have to recommend the better one, unless you have access to a friendly watchmaker. For any kind of longevity, the cheaper movements require servicing virtually as soon as you get them.

Also some of the cheapo 45mm cases have a 20mm bracelet/lug width.

Whatever you end up doing, if you go black bezel, it's going to be a bit ordinary. Orange is better constructed. Of all of them, the 42mm is the best 'out of the box'.

This is concerning, as most of what I've read says go the asian eta movement?

I don't want to spend $150 plus shipping and then have to service it. I would hope to get 3 years of worry free use.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I should also tell you I have a seiko skx007 auto divers watch which costs $150 so I'm expecting a similar level of quality.

You're not going to get Seiko (or even Casio) quality in $150 rep of a $3,000 watch made in a dirty basement in China

tracyl

22/4/11
Looks like a good deal. I'd go for the Asian 2824-2. I have one in my PO 42mm 5th gen, and it is +1 sec a day. It runs better than my Seiko gens and my Oris gen. But they are hit and miss, and you really need to find a local watch smith as a backup.

The only big tell on this Omega is the crown guard and the location of the helium valve. If you can live with that, then you are good to go.

dog-man

27/12/11
You're not going to get Seiko (or even Casio) quality in $150 rep of a $3,000 watch made in a dirty basement in China

mmm, well someone is making a lot of money out the rep watches then. If seiko can make a relaible Japan built auto 200m divers watch for $150 then these rep watches should be able to produce at least the same quality.

Obviously a gen seamaster is out of my price range thats why I'm on this forum!

So should I save some more money and buy a Tissot, seastar with the real ETA 2824-2 movement for $700?

Looks like a good deal. I'd go for the Asian 2824-2. I have one in my PO 42mm 5th gen, and it is +1 sec a day. It runs better than my Seiko gens and my Oris gen. But they are hit and miss, and you really need to find a local watch smith as a backup.

The only big tell on this Omega is the crown guard and the location of the helium valve. If you can live with that, then you are good to go.

Can anyone recommend a better rep of this watch?

dog-man

27/12/11
Whats everyone's thoughts on the quartz chrono Planet ocean. Is the quartz movement likely to be a more reliable?

ademarco

24/12/11
I have the quartz POC and it kind of annoys me that it is not mechanical, but it should last as long as the battery is good. I ticks the seconds sub dial and when you run the chrono it ticks as well.

luckie

19/12/11
I share the concerns about quality of reps. I want to get an Omega rep because...well because I can't afford the real one but I was wondering if any of them will be a decent dive watch or just arm candy? I'm a farmer and would like to wear it out working with my chickens. I think there is something funny about that. Any info or old links to aid in this venture?

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Chickens - yes. Diving - no.
Unless you have it sealed and tested by a watch smith, then diving might be OK to about 200 meters at best. But as I have never seen a chicken that deep, I'd guess that 20-30 meters is about as deep as you would go.

luckie

19/12/11
Chickens - yes. Diving - no.
Unless you have it sealed and tested by a watch smith, then diving might be OK to about 200 meters at best. But as I have never seen a chicken that deep, I'd guess that 20-30 meters is about as deep as you would go.

Thanks we get a good bit of rain in the winter, but I'm no diver anyway. The chickens are tired of my Mako and have asked me to upgrade.