• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pugwash's Navitimer Review

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
"Here's how it is ..."
Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity.

new-navi-04.jpg

I call this shot the Andreww/By-Tor Special.

Here's how it is, I ordered my Navitimer from Ruby back in the day when she first started making her name as she-who-has-the-new-Navitimers. It's a 28,800vph Asian 7750 copy with the transport gear layer added to change it to a Tri-Compax layout, emulating the 7753 on the original.

new-navi-06.jpg

It arrived, I wore it, I Bob-for-Breitlinged it up and ... it died in its first week.

new-navi-01.jpg

Side view to show the amazing tank-like profile common to all 7750/7753-based watches.

Being a decent sort of dealer, Ruby said that she would gladly replace it and I got a return address and sent it back. It's now the 25th of September.

<tt>"TIME PASSES"</tt>
The Hobbit - a videogame

A fortnight later, she's still not received it, but I can live with that as I'm on holiday.

<tt>"THORIN SITS DOWN AND STARTS SINGING ABOUT GOLD"</tt>
The Hobbit - a videogame

Ok, it's 3rd of November. This is starting to be a little unfeasible. Let's verify the address I sent it to. Oh, damn, she gave me the wrong address. Oh well. It can happen, I suppose.

While we're depressed at this point, let's have a look at the back of the new Navitimer. As you can see, it's got a temperature converter. I've used it precisely twice in the last week.

new-navi-03.jpg

Temperature conversion scale - more useful than you'd think.

Anyway, back to the tale of weeping and gnashing.

I waited, got a tracking number (useless as usual, until it gets to France) and was off work the day I got an email from the French postage system that the Concierge had received the watch. I went downstairs and got it from her and she was a little surprised I knew it was there as she'd got it in the last 5 minutes.

new-navi-05.jpg

mmm ... pretty

As you can probably guess, I ordered it in standard configuration, with the steel bracelet, even though I knew I'd probably never wear it on the steel as it is just way too bling for a skinny white guy that works in IT like me. It takes 22mm straps and I'd already had the one that got sent back on a Bob Strap so this one had the strap taken off before I removed the plastic from it. It's a very shiny strap. If you can do bling, this is a great starter.

Personally, I love the off-white style. It's really stunning. Some prefer the dark black or blue dials and I get it, but for me, this is the one.

All in all, it's been a while to get to me so I'm a little too relieved to pick fault with it, but I'll try:

The date-wheel is recessed. Of course it is, this is an Asian 7750 in Tri-Compax - they all do that. If you don't like this, get a 12-9-6 layout one. I knew this error and the following one before buying, but just in case you didn't, here you go.

The Slide Rule is off. It doesn't line up properly. This is a known problem with the 28k Navitimers that the 21k ones didn't have. Check your local dealer's photos, I defy you to find one the dealer's not nudged off-centre to hide this glaring error. Unfortunately, this is annoying because you'll use it more than you'd think. I've used it in the doctors to convert my weight from pounds to kilos and once at work to convert Pounds Sterling to Euros.

Having said that, I'm not at all disappointed in this watch and would recommend it to anyone that can live with its faults. Here's a parting stock shot, just so you get the big picture and don't get hung up on the details:

new-navi-02.jpg

Come on, you want one. You know it...

bwhitesox

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/06
Great shots as usual Pugwash, Glad you're still hanging around these parts as I really like looking at your photos and you're definately an asset to this community.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
What an ugly watch.

HAHA, Its friggin beautiful Pug. I really think a white dial navi is in my future. Probably the GMT though. Great pics and entertaining review mate!

Hyster

29/7/06
You sir have a gift,

Really impressive pics there and an interesting read, thanks for that.

rah

29/3/06
Great review and pics. You do have the knack at these things.

Very nice watch-Might have to look at one of those.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
It is a watch, and is pictures

nice watch, nice ppictures

as for rest.. LOL

K

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
BTW Pug, don't want to alarm you but your watch has the same serial# as mine. I think yours might be fake.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
roll on floor

K

phantom editor

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
:D

is good review

is

nize of watchy!

maxse

Banned
4/11/06
nice watch man. Glad to see this one is finally working for you.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Great pics, great watch, great review.

Linked to the Breitling Guide.