• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with SSD 1

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
Hey all, it's been too long since I have been active. Forgive me if this has been discussed. I bought the SSD last fall. No problems with the bracelet but I had the stem pull out completely. I returned it to the dealer requesting a replacement and received the same watch "repaired" only to have the stem pull out again. Not wanting to go through another 2 month wait, I took it to my local repair shop. He is happy to work on reps as long as they have swiss movements so he can get the parts from his catalog. he ordered a new part and thirty dollars later, I was in business. Before he took the job, he warned me that this particular ETA model can have this particular problem and unless ETA had redesigned the offending part, it could happen again. Of course it did and we both agreed not to waste any more time or money.
Have others had this problem with SSD 1? Does the SSD 2 have a different movement? The SSD 1 is a good looking watch and from what I have read the SSD 2 is even nicer. I would like to have a ssd that doesn't have this movement problem. Thanks.....

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
swfla said:
. Before he took the job, he warned me that this particular ETA model can have this particular problem and unless ETA had redesigned the offending part, it could happen again. .

must have been some type of keyless problem Did he tell you or do you know exactly which movement it is. I'm wondering if it is an older stock.

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
I will speak with him Monday about the exact movement. It appears that this watch is 14.5 thick. Are both the SSD 1 and 2 14.5 thick?

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
it sorta sounds like he just didnt fix it correctly... ive had pretty messed up keyless works and its always fixable. I dont know of any problems off hand about ETA and the keyless works having a design problem. Its very senseative and easy to mess it up but i dont think its a real problem?

dizz

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
The movements going to be the 2836-2 or a chinese copy of it- let's face it, the copy movements are becoming more commonplace. But I've never heard of problems with the stem pulling out if they are in there correctly. Granted, the keyless works is the weak link in the ETA movements, and you do have to be careful in winding them slowly so as not to mess up the keyless works. It's not worth changing movements, IMO, unless you put a whole new ETA in there. Hopefully, the second time around the watchmaker can take a closer look and fix the problem. BTW, if it is a copy movement, maybe that's your problem- no one's exactly sure of the inter-changeability of parts with real ETA parts.

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
I dropped the watch off today. It is 2836-2, he said it was genuine. I suppose it could be such a good copy, he was fooled? He agreed to spend more time on it, he stands behind his work.
If he cannot repair it, what might I expect to pay for a new movement? As most here would agree, the SSD is a handsome rep.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Hopefully he can fix it. Jules Borel sells a 2836-2 for $71.35 plus a little s+h. These are not factory sealed ETA movements, Ziggy refers to them as surplus- so it's hard to tell just how clean and well serviced they are. Your watchmaker would have to transfer the Rolex datewheel on the old movt to it, but it would probably be an easy swap.

I agree, the SSD is a very nice watch, good luck with getting it back up and running.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sunny Naples,

If you indeed have a 2836 and your watch guru can't fix it, find someone else. There is no flaws in the 28XX series except when the stem gets pull out and re-inserted improperly. As Dizz mentioned all the 28XX series of ETA and frankly all automatics are touchy when it comes to keyless works and re-inserting stems. Rex450 on RepGeek, RBJ on this forum and many other watch smiths work on these everyday and can take them apart completely and put them back together in working order with blindfolds on, within an hour or 2. The datewheel overlay is the main problem with these Rolex Reps, it causes date change and other complicated situtions if it is not glued on flat or if the spacer isn't tall enough. So if you have a good overlay, the movement you have is fixable.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
only thing worth doing is start

class action lawsuit against ETA

stuff happens

is all

k

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
Right quite, as always Klink:) I will give my guy one more chance, if no success, I will contact RBJ et al. Thanks R2D4.