• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

problem with gen omega tube and crown...

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Hey guys,

Just got a Franken UPO today and after looking at the watch, I realized that it had ran out of power during shipping and needed to be set and charged up so I opened up the crown and set the time. Unfortunately, for some reason I can't screw it back in. I've tried everything and I'm not getting anywhere. The watch has a genuine crown and tube. After I open the crown all the way up, I don't see any threads at all like I usually see with my other watches. Should I be able to see some threads or? Is it possible that the tube has actually fell into the case? I really don't want to order a new gen crown and tube as the watch came with the real stuff. I know that the rep crown and tube are not the sturdiest, but I thought that the gen would solve that problem...

CHeers,

JF

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Gen tube has the threads inside, outside portion you see is smooth.

As for why you cant screw in, im not sure. Your pushing in while screwing?

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Yes I am pushing while turning. The watch and movement seem fine. Keeps great time so far. I really don't understand why it's not screwing in. IS the crown any different than other watches? clockwise like other watche?

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Could it be that the stem is not properly in or something? I guess we'll see what my watchsmith has to say tomorrow. Also I should add that the watch has a genuine ETA 2824 movement from Ofrei and was serviced last year. Could the stem maybe be the culprit here?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
It must be stripped. I'm only saying this because I assume you know how to screw a crown in ;)

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Yes I do. Well on other watches. I've read that some people will do a counterclockwise first on this one followed by clockwise. I'm just so shocked that a genuine tube and crown can get stripped this easily. I can't believe I'll have to spend more money on top of the good chunk of monay I've already spent and send the watch away after having it for literally 4 hours...sooooooooooo frustrating

plaifender

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/09
two possibilities here:

1. The gen tube came un-epoxed from the case and is spinning freely when you turn the crown.

2. The tube/crown is stripped.

Easiest way to test this theory is open the caseback and remove the stem. Once the stem is remove check and see gently with a pair of needle nose pliers that the tube is not loose.

If it's not loose, then the tube is stripped.

It's QUITE a common problem on many Gen Watches. My watchmaker in madrid was telling me about a Gen PO owner that stripped his crown after 2 months of ownership!

jfdupuis

14/5/10
I really really hope it's an easy fix. I'm extremely dissapointed that I get a watch of that price range and can't even wear it 5 minutes. Pretty sad....and now the member is not responding to my messages...just great...

DA2EASY

4/8/09
I had this problem, it turned out the tube had come away from the case. Easy fix I just used Araldite to glue it back into place.

plaifender does your watch smith in Madrid service reps? I need an a7750 servicing, I travel to Madrid at least twice a month this would be very convenient!

jfdupuis

14/5/10
My watchmaker said the same thing when he opened the crown. He said that tube came out with the crown. He wasn't really thrilled about it and gave me a little speech about replicas, and said that good watches have threads on the tube instead of press fit. He's going to try to glue it in for me. I should get it back in a day or two. Hopefully it will solve the problem. It's such a nice watch and I would love to be able to wear it.

jfdupuis

14/5/10
So would using epoxy glue or something similar to glue back the tube greatly affect the water resistance of the watch? I don't plan on going diving with it, but it would be nice to be able to wash my hands without having to worry about water messing up the watch..

DA2EASY

4/8/09
It should of been glued with epoxy in the first place.

I used araldite to repair mine which is a house hold epoxy. After I completed the job I assembled the watch without the movement and submerged it in a wheelie bin full of water for 30 minutes, approximately 1.5m (my wife thinks I'm mad). It proved water tight at that depth, good enough for me but it will depend on the quality of the repair.

Good luck!

jfdupuis

14/5/10
The dial is not properly attached in the case, it moves around quite a bit and the crown won't screw in. I want my money back!