• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Possible Stripped Crown

tracyl

22/4/11
I know this is a common problem for the Speedy Pro's out there, but does anyone know where to get a replacement Omega Crown that will fit on this stem that goes in a ST1902? I looked on CousinsUK, but couldn't find it, and also on Otto Frei, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone with better searching skills can help the brother out? I would like to get a couple of extra stems and crowns while I'm at it.

Didn't realize this, but the ST1902 movement is a really nice movement! I was at my local watch smith today and showed it to him(display case back) and he says this is a pretty expensive movement. I looked it up when I got home and cousinsuk sells them for around $138. He wasn't kidding, this is a nice movement. These come in most of the Speedy Pro manual wind watches. And since I got mine, I'm so impressed with the accuracy and stability. I may have to put on the domed crystal and repaint the rehaut to black to get it looking more original. Too bad dial spacing will always be a problem!

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
I don't have this problem yet, but would love to know the answer to this questions as well.

I love my speedy, and based on my experience with other reps crown tube stripping out I'd like to be proactive with this one and just replace it up front since it's a handwind watch and I'll have to be constantly unscrewing the crown to wind it up.

--Ken

tracyl

22/4/11
Ken,
I'm guessing everyone is going to say get it from the trusted dealer. I got mine from Silix, and the girl I was working with quit, so I'm not so sure they will even be able to source these kind of parts. I'm going to send an email anyway and see what they say.

I let my watchmaker take a look at it today, and he said it is not so bad yet, but eventually it will strip. He said if I can get the crown, he would put it on for me, or show me how to do it. I'll probably order some extra stems and crown gaskets also just in case I break the stem. I'll let you know what I find out.

tracyl

22/4/11
Update...I contacted Silix, and they said they ordered the parts for me. They will contact me when they come in. I asked for 3 extra stems, crowns and crown gaskets. We'll see if they come through. I'll update when I get them.

tracyl

22/4/11
Another update...I bought 3 stems, 3 crowns and 3 gaskets from Silix for $67 shipped. That comes to $19 per set plus $10 shipping. That is expensive, but it is insurance against damage to the crown/stem for the life of the watch. Hopefully it is the right stem and crown. I'll give an update with photo's when they arrive.

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
If those fit, I'll try to do the same and cross them with a stem/crown from a dealer here stateside in Downtown LA called Watch Material.

--Ken

importedfob

Known Member
29/3/11
tracyl, thanks for the update. That would help us out alot.

I'm also in Colorado and have a stripped UPO crown!

tracyl

22/4/11

tracyl, thanks for the update. That would help us out alot.

I'm also in Colorado and have a stripped UPO crown!
Importedfob,
I'll send you a PM. If you are in Denver, I found a guy who works on reps. Really nice and easy going, and been working on watches for 25 years. I'm just not sure if he has all the right tools. I wanted him to change the bezel on my UPO and he couldn't get it off because he didn't have a bezel remover. I ordered one myself and will let him use it in a trade for services. But he may be able to put in a new tube and crown if you source the parts.

On my speedy pro, the problem doesn't seem to be the tube, but rather the threads on the crown seem to be stripped. I haven't taken it apart yet to look at it, but my watchmaker says if I have a new stem and crown it should fix the problem. I'll know for sure when I get the parts. I can size the stem and put the crown on myself, I'm more worried about messing up the keyless works on this movement because it is an expensive movement, and not sure how to fix that.