• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] Let's build multiple Tudor Prince Oysterdate 74000 (34mm)

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I hoarded a bunch of 34mm Tudor ingredients over the years, including a small sample of the parts I got below for two 74000 builds:

Building 34mm Tudors using gen cases (e.g., 74000 / 74033) or rafflesdial Tudor cases is fun, simple, and great for anyone who just started assembling watches.
If there are no hidden surprises, such Tudor builds should be fairly straightforward.

I decided to build the champagne dial 74000 first. Here are the ingredients:
- Gen champagne baton dial
- Gen 74033 mid-case + case-back
- Gen hands
- Replica Tudor modern font 2824-2 date disc
- Rafflesdial Tudor 34mm crystal
- Rafflesdial Tudor 34mm bezel (https://rafflesdials.com/stainless-steel-smooth-bezel-for-mens-vintage-tudor-34mm-prince-watch-case/)
- Rafflesdial Tudor 34mm movement ring (https://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-28-...ng-eta-2824-inside-the-34mm-tudor-watch-case/)
- Rafflesdial 19mm bracelet (https://rafflesdials.com/signed-lig...nter-links-for-vintage-34mm-rolex-watch-case/)
- ETA 2824-2 (sealed and new)
- High quality replica 5.3mm crown

The brand new ETA 2824-2 is unpacked and prepared with the installation of the hour wheel, dial spacer, and Tudor modern font date disc:

The gen hands are installed next:

The rafflesdial bezel ring fits a gen 74000 / 74033 case perfectly

Finished!

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Holy Moley, looks exactly the same as my granny's watch...

What a lovely build! Good job!
This is exactly what I wanted to hear because I love ancient rolex and tudor from our grandparents' era. Thank you, haha

Lookin' good!

Thank you! Looking forward to yours as well

I’ve got a couple done and a couple more in the queue, love these 34mm Tudors.

I love them too. I would build more if gen Tudor parts are more easily available.

Not to mention, 34mm is a very comfortable size as well.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
The next 74000 build uses a gen 74033 linen diamond dial. The diamonds are very sparkly.

Here are the ingredients:
- Gen 74033 diamond dial
- Gen 72033 hands (I am still sourcing for these hands)
- Rafflesdial Tudor 34mm bezel (https://rafflesdials.com/stainless-steel-smooth-bezel-for-mens-vintage-tudor-34mm-prince-watch-case/)
- Rafflesdial Tudor 34mm movement ring (https://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-28-...ng-eta-2824-inside-the-34mm-tudor-watch-case/)
- Rafflesdial 19mm bracelet (https://rafflesdials.com/signed-lig...nter-links-for-vintage-34mm-rolex-watch-case/)

I think the 74000 series of tudor with diamond dial uses shorter hands from the 72000 series of tudor. If I can't find these hands, I will settle for a set of gen 74033 hands.

Last edited:

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Awesome stuff as always Pom!! I've been wearing my GEN 90520 recently and really enjoying it on a rattly old folded link 7835!

• Love
Reactions: pompompurin

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
This is exactly what I wanted to hear because I love ancient rolex and tudor from our grandparents' era. Thank you, haha

Thank you! Looking forward to yours as well

I love them too. I would build more if gen Tudor parts are more easily available.

Not to mention, 34mm is a very comfortable size as well.
Yeah, I'm finding that gen Tudor dials are rare and expensive, compared to Rolex, which is fairly easy to find and often very reasonable.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Awesome stuff as always Pom!! I've been wearing my GEN 90520 recently and really enjoying it on a rattly old folded link 7835!
Thank you! 7835 is a nice and comfy bracelet because it is light. The rattling and loose links really add to the vintage feeling.
Yeah, I'm finding that gen Tudor dials are rare and expensive, compared to Rolex, which is fairly easy to find and often very reasonable.
Exactly. Some tudor 34mm dials can cost more than a rolex datejust 36 dial, which i find very odd.

• Love
Reactions: Singapore9

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
The next 74000 build uses a gen 74033 linen diamond dial. The diamonds are very sparkly.

Here are the ingredients:
- Gen 74033 diamond dial
- Gen 72033 hands (I am still sourcing for these hands)

I think the 74000 series of tudor with diamond dial uses shorter hands from the 72000 series of tudor. If I can't find these hands, I will settle for a set of gen 74033 hands.
The dial in this is wild!!!

est4129

15/9/18
Thank you! 7835 is a nice and comfy bracelet because it is light. The rattling and loose links really add to the vintage feeling.

Exactly. Some tudor 34mm dials can cost more than a rolex datejust 36 dial, which i find very odd.

Most Tudor dials cost more than similar Rolex dials, I can buy a 16610 dial all day long for about $500 bucks. Good luck finding ANY gen Tudor Sub dial for under a grand. Gen 34mm dials are less for both brands since they are not as popular.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Good luck finding ANY gen Tudor Sub dial for under a grand.

indeed. I am going through that and genuine 79090 dials are crazy expensive for what it's worth. The genuine 79090 dial alone can sometimes cost 1/3 or 1/4 of an entire genuine 79090 watch. Also, the price of genuine 79090 can sometime be quite close to a genuine 14060 or 16610.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

I also just noticed that the champagne dial in the above franken is an uncommon transitional “tritinova” dial. Tritinova is a nickname from Rolexforum and other sources that means a "T SWISS MADE T" / "T<25 SWISS" / "T SWISS T" dial (which is supposed to denote as having tritum lume) with luminova lume instead.

I decided to redo the hands, by uninstalling them, polishing them gently using cape cod, cleaning them with warm water and dishwashing detergent, rinsing them, and reluming them with C1 Swiss Superluminova. I also managed to source gen 72033 hands so I decided to redo both set of hands together.

The 74033 and 72033 hands were polished, cleaned and had the stock (brittle) lume removed:

C1 Swiss Superluminova is applied to both set of hands:

Once the lume is dried, the look like below:

The relumed/ polished/ cleaned 74033 hands reinsitalled:

See the tritinova dial glow!

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Love the dial.. how would one tell if a dial is genuine.? Do the have the LP marking like I've seen on so.e submariner dials.?
Not all tudor dials have LP marking behind, especially for modern dials.

I like looking at the tudor shield logo on the dial. Nearly all replica dials screw this up. I also like to look at how the indices are mounted from the back of the dial. I also like to know what replica dial variations are currently available in the market so that I can compare. Last but not the least, I also like to look at finer details like the serif, font typography, and even the finesse of the date window.

But that being said, I am not infallible haha. There are super fakes out there, surely.

Reactions: jp3007_1

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
I need to get on building mine. My dad had a cool California dial one and it burned in a house fire. I’m going to keep the case burned and raw. But I want to build it up again. This thread definitely motivated me.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I need to get on building mine. My dad had a cool California dial one and it burned in a house fire. I’m going to keep the case burned and raw. But I want to build it up again. This thread definitely motivated me.

That looks so cool! but i you are all ok after the house fire.

Since your case is genuine, you can go with the rafflesdial ingredients to restore it (rafflesdial crystal, movement ring). As for the tube, a gen or aftermarket 5330 / 5320 tube will fit.

• Love
Reactions: bowtiefanatc

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
That looks so cool! but i you are all ok after the house fire.

Since your case is genuine, you can go with the rafflesdial ingredients to restore it (rafflesdial crystal, movement ring). As for the tube, a gen or aftermarket 5330 / 5320 tube will fit.

Thanks! I have been searching for the right dial to replace it with. I know Raffles has some California dials which I think would be the best option.

Thanks for the info on the tube as well. I don’t know these models nearly as well.

Here’s my dad’s old gold Tudor that I found in the remains of the house as well.

• Wow