• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO (ULTIMATE) newbie questions..please help

laxani

Still New
4/11/12
Hi all,
Excellent forum...have done loads of reading but would appreciate your expert opinion on my first purchase dilemma please ( or referral to any existing thread that I missed).

Have spotted an ultimate PO 42 from a TD (from another forum) as I could not see anything similar item on TD websites of this forum. (I would welcome any PMs from our TDs without website if they have similar item in stock).

However my question is
1. shall I take the Asian 4813 movement or the ETA 2824...I have to stretch my budget and risk problem with customs etc so dont really want to spend hundreds extra for my first purchase. is it really worth it? Does the body of a rep last long enough to reap the benefit of a better movement? If the rep normally lasts a lifetime with enough care, I dont mind shelling out extra for a quality swiss movement. Or is an asian movement as good and reliable.
( here I am looking for your experience of using a good rep for 5-6 years and I am clearly confused)

2. Are leather straps long lasting and authentic or shall I go for SS. Will SS rust in hot humid condition?

Thanks for your help, specially on deciding on movement.

With ETA and shipping, the cost is coming to £200+ which is quite a lot, specially if the item gets seized by customs.... dont want to loose that amount of money.

Please excuse if I have made any mistakes by posting this...I have immense respect for the knowledgeable members here.
thanks

mattsheehan

14/6/09
Why go ETA? Go asian clone 2824 from trevor. $188. depending on where your from he offers various methods of shipment.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
With straps you should always go for that what YOU are comfortable with. I have Rolexes on Nato or Pams on a Maratac strap. My watch, my strap :)

2813 can be quite reliable and these 21j's are cheap to replace. Usually a better movement gets you a better case as well. It depends on the watch and the dealer. And of course on your budget.

Regarding hot, humid climate I can't tell. I could tell you about cold climate, though. Metal sucks there.

What makes me wonder is that you said that our TDs can't get the watch. Write a mail to our TDs and include the link. Ask them whether they can get the watch. It is worth a try.

DVL

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
All UPO have the same construction regardless of the movement: 316L Stainless Steel. This is the same steel as used on the gen. The build quality on the UPO V5 is excellent. The bracelet is very well finished. The only weak point is the clasp can be a bit tough to fasten out of the box, but nothing a little 100 grit wet dry and five minutes won't fix. I strongly recommend you purchase the watch with the bracelet. It's a lot more expensive to buy it after the fact (and pay additional shipping) if you decide you do want the bracelet. Also, the straps can be found on ebay or from your TD, so you can have both if you're so inclined.

As for movement, the DG4318 movement is a good, reliable movement and I bought the 4318 version for my UPO. If I were to do it over though, I would go for the A2824 clone version (not the ETA 2824). The clone movement is an exact copy of the ETA 2824 and the parts are interchangeable. If you ever needed to service the watch, any watchsmith can fix it using off the shelf parts. The typical 21J (2813), is great because it's cheap and easy to swap as the previous member wrote, but this is not the 2813. The 4318 is not easy to source and there are several different builds of this movement and they are not all interchangeable. If it breaks, it is pretty much game over. As another earlier poster noted, the best option is to spend the extra $50 and get the clone movement from Trevor for $188.00: http://www.trwatch.com/product_info.php?products_id=646&osCsid=f9e27abeb545173fbdd2f4f0fb3fc1ce

Good luck!

laxani

Still New
4/11/12
Thanks so much for your esteemed opinion. I will certainly try some more of our TDs here including Trevor.

Any comment on UK custom clearance? Is there any chance of running into problems?
Thanks again.

kazin326

Known Member
24/9/09
What version is the CPO I keep hearing about? And what are your guys thoughts on this... I have only ever ordered from Timeshops.net and I am getting ready to get a PO. I have such a hard time discerning the difference between all the versions. So can anyone briefly tell me difference in quality of the Hont Version and these? I understand from the Trevor and one of the Timeshops have the asian clone movement and the other Timeshops has an ETA but im wondering if the case quality is going to vary significantly between these. In dealing with reps Ive only ever purchased the highest ETA versions most likely being suckered in, but in seeing the favoritism towards the asian 2836-2 i wonder about the bracelet and case quality. My very first rep I did a submariner $90 asian 21j and it was horrible in terms of case quality. Mostly I am wondering first about those two from timeshops and then how the better version would be against the Trevor. Case/bracelet quality is the most important IMO, then the movement. I havent noticed much different in movements as I have with case and bracelets. Any thoughts I would love to be educated, thank you gentlemen.

Trevor $188
http://www.trwatch.com/product_info....d2f4f0fb3fc1ce
or same watch?? $188
http://www.trwatch.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=642&osCsid=f9e27abeb545173fbdd2f4f0fb3fc1ce

and

$218 (only could find 45mm version, lost the 42 link)
http://www.timeshops.net./11773-om40...an-2836-2

and

$304
http://www.timeshops.net./7376-om429...ta-2824-2

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Most of the dealers will get you the same watch, there are just a couple of factories so don't expect to see many differences.

The rule says get the asian clone movement V5 PO or UPO and enjoy, simple as that.

As for the CPO, well it will be long time since we see a decent rep of that model, if we ever see one...

lear2003

13/8/12
Thanks so much for your esteemed opinion. I will certainly try some more of our TDs here including Trevor.

Any comment on UK custom clearance? Is there any chance of running into problems?
Thanks again.

i have had 6 rep watches delivered individually this year from China, not one has been held or opened at UK customs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kazin326

Known Member
24/9/09
Ok thank you, that seems to be the consensus. Any threads on v5 PO vs UPO differences? And as far as case/bracelet quality do you find that for Asian clone and ETA its the same exact case and just a different movement?

Most of the dealers will get you the same watch, there are just a couple of factories so don't expect to see many differences.

The rule says get the asian clone movement V5 PO or UPO and enjoy, simple as that.

As for the CPO, well it will be long time since we see a decent rep of that model, if we ever see one...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Ok thank you, that seems to be the consensus. Any threads on v5 PO vs UPO differences? And as far as case/bracelet quality do you find that for Asian clone and ETA its the same exact case and just a different movement?

Well v5 PO vs UPO only difference is the size. 42mm vs 45.5mm.

I doubt they use better parts at the eta ones...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well that ultimate is part of the advertisement for the latest model.

Rymeister

Known Member
21/3/12
Hi buddy go with which size you prefer, I had a upo 45 and fitted loads of gen parts, was definitely my favourite watch , quality out of the box is simply amazing, you won't be disappointed, also like others have said go with Asian 2824. I have had no problems with uk customs either, good luck
Ry :)

kazin326

Known Member
24/9/09
I like the 42mn a lot better. So I think I'm going take your advice and check out the v5 and that Trevor has it for what looks to be a good price. Always some reluctance to try a new dealer for the first time ya kno.

laxani

Still New
4/11/12
No response from Trevor (have pm- ed, emailed and contacted via website).? Run out of stock

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
No response from Trevor (have pm- ed, emailed and contacted via website).? Run out of stock

Patience, He is worth the wait.

If I may add........ The dealers may use any words to describe their pieces. If you want to get faster help with the members, please refer to the most current version of the 42mm as the 5GPO and the 45.5mm version as UPO.