• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO: Stem broken / crown fell off : need advice

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
PO: Stem broken / crown fell off [resolved]

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to wind my nice orange PO 21J. I unscrewed the crown and on the first wind much to my dismay I suddenly had the crown and (part of?) the stem in my hand. I am quite sure that I didn't exert too much force on the crown. I wore that watch like 10 times, bought it end of last year. It is practically new.

I haven't contacted the seller yet in the hopes that there is an easy fix for it.

Maybe someone can advise.

Thank you
Dr.Verylong

om2.jpg

om1.jpg

om3.jpg

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
Looks to me like it may just have unscrewed.
Try screwing the crown back down, you may have to stop the stem revolving, either remove it and put it in a pin vice, or try and "jam" it whilst still in the movement, and see if you can get the crown to rethread.
If it does, you can then put a small drop of blue Loctite in the crown hole or on the stem, and screw it back down.
Make sure you tighten it to a point that the date sets, and hands set, when it is in the correct "click" position.
PM if any of the above is unclear.
Offshore

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I'll try that right away, thank you Offshore (you know, I have nice tools now ;))

Dr.Verylong

jy6221

7/7/09
Unless the crown snapped off the stem, this is something you could fix at home.

Open the case back. if you dont have the appropriate tool you can improvise with either a rubber stress ball or a home made ball of sticky tape. Once off, press the crown stem release button (let us know if you're unsure where it is (a picture of the movement when the case back is off will help). Attempt removal of the stem. If you don't have enough room to work due to obstruction caused by the watch casing you may have to remove the movement (i recently removed a movement out of a watch i was having issues with, it's easier than it seems). Once out of the case and with the crown release button pressed you should be able to pull the remaining stem out. Then like suggested above, try and secure it and rescrew on.

hope you fix it.

p.s. i used a toothpick to press the crown release button down.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I tried to block the stem, but to no avail. Maybe it would be better to remove the stem?

I haven't found the release for the stem. Could it be the hole that I indicated with an arrow?

Edit: I took too long to post, just saw jy6221s post. I am not sure where the release is.

om4.jpg

jy6221

7/7/09
Yes you push it in, and whilst the button is pressed you need to grip the stem with something and gently pull it out. try twezzers.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Not the hole.......

Button to the left of the two gears, I believe. Crappy picture..

Edit: Yes just looked at a similar movement. The button to the left is correct.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Sorry about the pictures. Bad lighting, old camera :(

I'll try the button then.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Don't push it too far or you'll be taking the keyless works apart. It's best if you can try to pull the stem out, from the winding position, while you gently push the button in.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
ok, got it.

Just to make sure I removed the stem. I could not unscrew the crown from the stem anymore - Loctite seems to have worked its wonder already. I hope that remains so.

Learnings:

1. The release button is left of the wheels on this 21j model
2. If the crown unscrews next time, I'll remove the stem and work from there
3. I must wind the watch only in a clockwise fashion, NOT counterclockwise
4. RWI is a great community

Thank you for all your help.

Dr.Verylong

om5.jpg

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I agree from experience - don't push it too hard. I almost FUBAR'ed one of my Omega reps doing that .