• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO Pearl Mods - Show and Tell

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I plan to integrate my PO pearl mod process (as your reading it now) to my FrPO thread once I get it started. I couldn't hold myself back until I get the FrPO tread up and comleted so in the mean time I thought I would share my experience in its own thread...

I trashed the first insert on my first attempt in doing the pearl mod. The second round turned out very good imo. If I could spend a little more time on it, I would get it so the pearl sticks out of the insert a little more, but based on my gen comparison at the AD this morning, it looks pretty @#$% good. I've got no loose shavings or scratches. The hole is tight and sits against the pearl nicely...looks better in person.

Step 1:
I picked up a used SMP bezel on ebay for $50.00 and used a wholesaleoutlet for the insert (twice)...

Step 2:
I sanded the back side of the insert (pearl area only) for about 30 minutes. Got it nice and thin. Blew away the shavings and refitted the insert to the bezel ring to make sure I didnt alter the way it sat againts the bezel ring

Step 3:
Sourced a drill bit (cant confirm size) that relfected the same diameter as the gen pearl from CandianTire. I then enlarged the pearl hole by hand and shaved "VERY SLOWLY" for about another 30 minutes

Step4:
Fitted the pearl in the hole. Cleaned the shavings and epoxied the pearl (from behind) with Hypo cement

Here are the results...

75854648.jpg

photo1mzk.jpg

photo2vp.jpg

photo3uf.jpg

photo4ja.jpg

89894082.jpg

79415253.jpg

16981717.jpg

Note: the pearl isn't touching the triangle. There's about a +/- 1mm gap on both sides. Sorry about the crappy photos. If I could afford a good camera I would probably have a gen PO too :D

bunbury

Known Member
9/2/11
Amazing job. Imo, the pearl is close to prefect. You'd need a loupe to tell the difference. Thank you for sharing it.
Do you have any pictures of the bottom of the case where you sanded it?

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Initially I thought doing the mod would be relatively easy but it ended up being much more difficult. It would probably help if I had real watchmakers tools and not dollar store screwdrivers and a Canadian tire drill bit.

All in all though, it came our great. I'm very happy about it.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I agree! It turned out really good.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Fantastic work Om3gy_guy, looks superb, that is gen bezel for all intents and purposes, nobody would tell the difference, and you saved a bit of cash aswell, these are £200 for gen bezels on cousinsuk lately, not worth it, and definitely not when you get results like you did. Excellent.

Also, the wholesaleoutlet inserts seem to have the slightly thicker numbers on the bezel; which is identical to gen bezels, the out of the box 5th 42mm have slightly thinner numbers...a very small difference but it is there, that one you have looks the business!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yes! $50 and some elbow grease. That kept your Franken budget down a lot!

R2 will be impressed ...;)

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks. Yeah I noticed the thicker numbers as well. I got excited when I saw them :)

Fantastic work Om3gy_guy, looks superb, that is gen bezel for all intents and purposes, nobody would tell the difference, and you saved a bit of cash aswell, these are £200 for gen bezels on cousinsuk lately, not worth it, and definitely not when you get results like you did. Excellent.

Also, the wholesaleoutlet inserts seem to have the slightly thicker numbers on the bezel; which is identical to gen bezels, the out of the box 5th 42mm have slightly thinner numbers...a very small difference but it is there, that one you have looks the business!

Thanks dude :) This mod was a lot of fun, with the exception of trashing my first insert :s

But, you need to learn somehow!

I agree! It turned out really good.

I dont even want to think about the franken budget! I blew over the budget months ago ha!

R2 does phenominal work. I've seen photos of his mods and yeah his work always look great. Better yet, after I aquired his pearl modded SMP (purchased through you ;) ), I couldnt believe that he modded that himself. The insert looked like it was manufactured that way!

Note: Similar to my FrSMP-007, I'll have approx. costs and budgets on my FrPO thread once I a create it. I still need to get the new Seagull movement, gen bracelet and HE valve installed...

Yes! $50 and some elbow grease. That kept your Franken budget down a lot!

R2 will be impressed ...;)