• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO He escape valve functional? or no?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to make my PO more water resistant. I've greased the seal on the caseback but don't know how the He valve on these works. Also, I don't see a rubber seal on the stem. Is there supposed to be one there? I haven't detached the stem. Just taken a close look with it pulled to the time setting position.

I have Rolex DSSD that I sealed the He valve on. I was wondering if this was a good I should do the same to my PO or if it's necessary.

Thanks for the input in advance...

shirazi_r

Renowned Member
12/10/10
Generally the crown and tube have gaskets; don't forget to grease these. The HE valve needs to be sealed with marine epoxy from the inside. This means removing the movement mind you.

Good luck.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Shirazi is correct. He Valve must be sealed on the inside with marine epoxy otherwise it's a potential leak spot since the rep He Valve is non-functional.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Cool. So it's similar to the DSSD that I've already done. Thanks for the info guys.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Ahh, guys, the PO has a crown type HE valve that should be just fine as long as the oring is in place and greased. It works the same way as a crown seal and if screwed down should be just as water tight. I have never seen a PO HE on a decent rep that required epoxy. It's not as if it were a reverse spring loaded valve like the DSSD or Briets.

Col.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
My 42mm PO passed 5 atm just fine. No epoxy needed and HE valve is functional.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
whew. thanks col. i'm glad i checked this thread again before i pulled the movement out.