• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO 5th gen AR

dopes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/11
Hey guys I'm wondering if the PO 5th gen have double or single layer AR. If its single layer, is it inside or outside?

I have some light minor scratches on the crystal (no idea how they got there) and I'm thinking about using diamond paste to remove them. Is it a good idea? I'm just worried I might remove a layer of AR.

Cheers guys

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep cape cod will remove the AR, oh wait you want to just remove scratches on the AR or is it scratches on ar and crystal below?...can't be done easily I'm afraid, you will either have to remove the outer ar and tackle the crystal scratches (if any) and then have crystal ar redone on the outside or just leave it off. Removal or ar alone can be done with cape cod or diamond paste, cape cod being the better choice as diamond paste will is overkill. If the actual sapphire is scratched then the diamond paste will get that aswell. Be prepared for a lot of elbow grease!

dopes

26/10/11
Ok thanks for the info. So is the PO double layer AR and the AR is just scratched? I don't know if the crystal is scratched or if its just the AR. I don't feel scratch marks, I can just see them.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
If you can just see them and not feel them then it's most likely just the ar coating, if the sapphire itself was scratched then you would feel the scratch fairly deep if you ran a finger nail across it! You could just remove the coating with cape cod, takes a while. btw I don't think the po reps have double ar? maybe the later ones, somebody could let us know...I always thought it was single outer blue-purplish ar only!?!

If it is double ar then they aren't very effective in terms of transparency....which you would expect from a double coating!

dopes

26/10/11
I hope its not single outer layer, I don't want to remove the blue AR =S .