• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO 42mm crown screw in

eudora12

26/2/12
Hi,
I just got my PO 42mm today and I know of the crown stripping problem.
My question is, how easily should the crown be screwed in? For example my rolex milgauss goes in without much effort, but the PO is really hard to screw. Does that mean it is stripping already or is the PO supposed to be that hard to screw in?
Thanks.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
It's not supposed to be hard to screw in so I'd say it's already stripping.
If it's a watch you plan to wear regularly, I suggest going with the gen crown, tube and clasp. (the clasps are know to fail prematurely as well)
I'd also suggest the gen SEL's to correct the huge gap between the SEL and the last bracelet link :)

eudora12

26/2/12
Is there anything I can do to stop the stripping?
Like this happened as soon as I got it. I even tried what others have suggested where you turn the crown counterclock wise a bit before scewing it in so it aligns properly.

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
Is there anything I can do to stop the stripping?

nope, once it starts its all downhill from there. nothing to do to stop it. the threads are so small that just a little cross threading and it mashes the whole thing up.

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
gen crown and tube can be had for about 60$ from ofrei, then add costs for watchsmith to install it for you.

eudora12

26/2/12
Thanks for the info.
So basically the only downside to the stripping is potentially water getting in?
Right now I can screw in the crown about 1-2 turns without too much force. Should I just leave i in like that for now? I don't really mind too much that the crown sticks out, but is 1-2 turns enough to keep water out?
I don't take mine swimming, so the only time water will touch it is through hand washing or the humidity.

importedfob

Known Member
29/3/11
The stripping will eventually lead to a crown that can't be screwed down. Since it can longer be screwed down, dirt and other contaminants can make their way into the movement.

Since your PO is already showing signs of stripping, I suggest looking into a gen crown, tube, and stem replacement.