• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ploprof Advice

Balad1

12/10/10
I'm thinking about buying an Omega Ploprof V2 for my adult son for Christmas. He's an occasional recreational diver (<30m). Do you think that the better version (V-2) of the Ploprof with a swiss 2834 movement would be suitable?

I'm looking at this one from Lay that says it's good to 100m; thoughts?

PS: On Lay's website it says he does waterproofing on all watches over $150.

http://www.replicamake.com/product_info.php?products_id=2047

todaystheday

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/10/10
i would not put the watch in any water until you get it waterproofed,personally i doubt its good for 100m even waterproofed but myself never tried it prob be good for 15atm maybe more only issue with the ploprof is the clasp it tends to slip back open than can be fixed with a bit of modding there is a post on here how to do this dont get v1 as the crystal is 2 part laminate and does not like water and can delaminate i have ploprof and got myself a genuine clasp for it believe me worth every penny.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
NO!
Do not use a replica watch for scuba diving!

This watch is used as a tool for you during the dive to calculate saturation time and other stuff. You bet your health on a working watch. Although most people now dive with computers (sadly) and mostly with a buddy your divers watch is still your most important item down there. Even if he stays above 30m. No rep down there, never.

Buy him a nice gen divers watch like an Aqualand or something. They are expensive for a reason.

Just my 2 cent of x00 dives worth of experience.

Balad1

12/10/10
Thanks for the advice, that's kind of what I was thinking but wishing otherwise.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
It's tempting, I know. But showing off a rep in the cafe is different from actually using it in a dive environment. A tiny imperfection in the seal and your watch gets flooded. And then you are also laughing stock ...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
As far as waterproofing goes, sure you can.
Folk have had PPs tested to 100M or more but as DVL says not for SCUBA, a watch is just too important. I don't fly using a rep for navigation, neither would I use one for diving. Buy him a nice Seiko Monster or the like.

Col.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Recently posted by mike00 on RG:

What can I say... Same watch compared to the ultimate besides the movement/faux bezel lock button/2 piece caseback.

So it has:

* correct logo
* new style clasp
* new style strap (improved compared to the V1)
* improved crystal (no delamination issues compared to the v1)
* perfect lume, no doubt about that

You can't go wrong with this watch for 148 USD IMO. (this one came from Andrew, again perfect QC)

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=6562

Balad1

12/10/10
I'm new to the rep scene and I guess I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the peculiarities of rep watches and the rep collector mindset.

If timex can make a waterproof watch for $50 why can't the $100-$500 reps be too?

Also why all the excuses for poor quality of some reps and trusted dealers?

Additionally if we don't expect them to be accurate or reliable then why pay extra for the better movements?

Am I asking for too much to buy a Ploprof V-2 for $350 and expect that it could be made to be waterproof to 50', be reasonably accurate and not have the deployment clasp slip?

Don't get me wrong I love rep watches and admire their beauty, I just wish for better watch functionality and QC.

PS: Yeah, I know it's not a $5K gen. I'm sure I'll get over it in time or with medication, lol.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09

I'm new to the rep scene and I guess I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the peculiarities of rep watches and the rep collector mindset.

*** You'll get used to it. :)

If Timex can make a waterproof watch for $50 why can't the $100-$500 reps be too?

*** Different standards and quality control and customer. No watch is water proof, just water resistant, with some much more resistant than others. These watches are made for the mass market, so short cuts are taken to get them out the door. Things like greasing rings and making sure that casebacks are on tight are just the beginning of what you can expect. To a rep factory, it doesn't matter what the dial says (though preferably what it does say is at least spelled correctly).

Also why all the excuses for poor quality of some reps and trusted dealers?

*** See above.

Additionally if we don't expect them to be accurate or reliable then why pay extra for the better movements?

*** Why pay extra for better tires? Gen movements tend to be more reliable and high quality than a rep factory version. This doesn't mean that an Asian version can't be reliable, but the fact that parts generally are not available for them is just one indication about what you'll get.

Am I asking for too much to buy a Ploprof V-2 for $350 and expect that it could be made to be waterproof to 50', be reasonably accurate and not have the deployment clasp slip?

*** Look at it this way, the rep factories give us a good start, the rest is up to us. I've gotten over this (as have many of us) and have reached a point where I actually enjoy finding fixes for these small issues. Some watches have more issues than others. As time goes on, the factories realize that these issues cause lower sales and sometime offer another version. Chances are though that the next version has another problem that the previous did not. Often, these things are done on purpose to keep them out of hot water with the gen mfrs.

Don't get me wrong I love rep watches and admire their beauty, I just wish for better watch functionality and QC.

*** So say we all.

PS: Yeah, I know it's not a $5K gen. I'm sure I'll get over it in time or with medication, lol.

*** Medication good, and even better when you share. :)

Balad1

12/10/10
Thanks, I'm self medicating with my favorite German weizen beer as I post.

All is good :)

xeebot

Known Member
5/9/10
I have the PloProf v2 and it's a stunning watch, I love it.
a6cd8936-7093-2f95.jpg

For a true divers watch that will actually serve it's purpose you should get him a Suunto dive computer for roughly the same amount as the PloProf V2. Those watches are amazing and will have the required tools a diver needs. Honestly, a Rolex or an Omega dive watch can't provide the wealth of info required by an avid diver.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Thanks, I'm self medicating with my favorite German weizen beer as I post.

All is good :)

"weizen"

Sounds like something I do after drinking a lot of beer, which I'm doing now... no, not weizen, drinking beer.

:woot:

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
The watch linked to trusty is not the correct logo btw.

The watch being sent out does have the correct logo, but the images on the site have not been updated btw. :)

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=120833&highlight=ploprof

P2112_12-11-10Medium.jpg

P2102_12-11-10Medium.jpg

No... TB should not have linked to that one because that one is the mesh version. :facepalm:

You should no better than to TRY to correct me! :lolcina:

:biglaugh:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Oh You do, do you... :thinking: Should we see it can turn you back to VIP orange from Pink? :lol: