• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Plexi retrofit in a Moon speedmaster

dmacnz

27/9/10
Hi,

I've read all I can find on replacing the crystal on a moonie with domed plexi.

Seems that most people use 34.2mm and some sort of adhesive to bond it or the 34.0mm Sternkreuz HW
Ive also heard someone thought of trying a 34.6mm without glue?!

Is there a proven method for mounting domed plexi without glue or is the 34.2mm with the glue still the best method.

Some many different sizes! or are the different makers of the speedy rep using different seized crystals?!

Any info is much appreciated.

Kind regards

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
My understanding is that the conventional wisdom is sourcing the HW342 crystal from Cousins and then securing it with UV glue. It's a tight fit, and the UV glue renders it pretty watertight.
You'd want to use the tightest one you can get. They're cheap - so experimentation isn't going to cost a fortune either.

The crystals are found at: http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/2077/2511.aspx

dmacnz

27/9/10
Thanks alot Ken, Just placed a order for 4 off them! Will try my a tutorial when they turn up.

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
I recently 'upgraded' my Speedmaster with the plexiglass - makes a huge difference to the look of the watch.
Good luck with the modifications.....

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
FXR Andy on RWG (blue) figured all this out for us a while back. The reason for the glue is simple. The inner bezel diameter (where the crystal sits) is larger than the diameter of the bezel insert. The watch comes with a crystal gasket that reduces the diameter, plus a crystal that doesn't stick up nearly as high as the plexi.

Therefore, gluing in a 34.0-34.2mm domed plexi without the crystal gasket is about the best you can make this watch look. You can use the crystal gasket if you like and skip the glue, but the diameter of the crystal is smaller and leaves an odd gap. Conversely, if you buy a plexi large enough to press into the bezel without glue then the insert won't fit over it.

Anyway, post pictures when you're done. They look waaay better! Ask me how I know...

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Great thread - thanks for posting KenD.
Anyone know where you can get a gen Speedmaster caseback...?

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
That's great, thanks. Just checked on CousinsUK - £79, so a little bit cheaper! Tempted to do the 'upgrade'...!

dmacnz

27/9/10
Have just ordered the 50th anniversary Moonie. As from what i saw it looked the like best rep'd model. Problem is i perfer the standard dial.
Does anyone know where i could find a standard dial to fit the seagull movement?
Thanks
Dan

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
What's the difference between the standard Speedmaster and 50th Anniversary Rep? Is it just the dial?

dmacnz

27/9/10
For info. The 34.2mm glass needed to be sanded down a little before it would fit. Looks nice though.