• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please Help! Bezel assembly has fallen off my Rep Breitling

bobfre1

Horology Curious
14/1/08
I've attached a couple of pictures that shows the the bezel assembly that has come off my rep Nav World.

Watch01.jpg

It appears that the screw that held the assembly on were not tightend.

NoBezel.jpg

Bezel.jpg

I'm not sure how to get the assembly apart to allow me to put the screws back in.

Will I need to remove the crystal and sliderule ring?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Yes, carefully pop the crystal off and screw the bezel back on.
There may have been an o-ring there too?

bobfre1

Horology Curious
14/1/08
Thanks for the advice.

I finally got around to fixing my watch. Turns out it was pretty simple.

I machined a piece of teflon with two concentric holes in it -- one that was just larger than the crystal, and one that was just larger than the bezel -- to hold the bezel while I pushed out the crystal.
I machined a second piece of teflon to push out the crystal that was just smaller in diameter than the number ring.
(Teflon was used because it is slightly compliant and does not scratch the metal or crystal.)

I pushed the crystal out and it was then obvious how the assembly came apart and subsequently went back together...

You were correct in assuming there was another ring -- not an o-ring, but it looked like a teflon ring both under the bezel assembly and just under the crystal.

When I put it back together, I put a VERY small drop of blue lock-tite into the screw holes that hold the bezel assembly onto the case. Once screwed back together it was just a matter of placing the number ring back in, the teflon ring ontop of that and then pushing the crystal back in.

Once again, thanks for the advice. It turned out to be pretty simple, but I probably wouldn't have dared the 'extraction' without a little direction.

Cheers

sixbennetts

Known Member
21/5/07
Nice work, taking care of things yourself!

Only thing I would add is about the small plastic ring between bezel ring and crystal. It only goes one way, and is L shaped in cross section. If you ever have to take it apart again, double check this for orientation.

bobfre1

Horology Curious
14/1/08
Thanks for the tip.
I was very careful about laying all the parts on the bench exactly as the came out so I think it should be in right. The crystal seems to fit properly and the number ring doesn't rattle so hopefully that means I got it right.

Hopefully I won't have to go back in there, but if I do, I'll take note of the orientation. Which way is right? L on the bottom or top?

sixbennetts

Known Member
21/5/07
I think it gets oriented just like an L, with the flat bottom against the bezel ring, and the crystal actually squeezes against it.