• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please explain this movement to me....

Renowned Member
30/3/09
G'day guys just want to clarify my understanding. I have read through this particular forum and just want to make sure I understand what I have read please.

1) 21J- sweep with a slight stutter.......... yes/no
2) But what does this movement do as specified by watcheden?
Top quality Japanese Quartz Working Chronograph Movement
Does it tick tick tick or is it like the 21J it sweeps with a slight stutter??????
cheers

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
The consensus is:
1) Not necessarily. ETA2892-2 has this number of jewel and beats at 28800bph. It is as smooth as most high beat movement. If you are talking about Asian 21j as described by dealers, most likely it is the slow beat 21600bph which explains why it stutters. However, there is a Seagull movement which imitates ETA2892-2, this one also has high beat. Or the DG movement which is actually not 21j (more).

2) I think it refers to Asian 21j (el cheapo movement).

3) This one is quartz chronograph... Yes it keeps time and it is realiable. It ticks, doesnt have sweeping second hand. Forget it for most cases. You have to deal with wrong subdial spacing, jerky quartz hands and wrong datefont.

Neuuubeh

Known Member
21/6/09
To my knowledge all quartz movements have "jumping second" (for lack of a better term ?). The second hand moves once per second, which looks like jumping from one marker to the next.

Common analog mechanical movements have somewhere between 18 and 28k beats per hour. It means that the second hand moves lets say 5 times per second. Thus the movement seems smooth, "sweeping". The more the beats per hour, the smoother the movement. Zeniths El Primero movement has 10 beats per second for example, and the second hand would appear to move a lot smoother.

Ive always wondered why there are no quartz movements with more "beats" than 1Hertz..

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
There is... On Rolex it's called Oysterquartz and some Tag Heuer has this movement (even the rep has it). I am not too sure if it's still made. It is done to conserve battery (1 tick per second).

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
Neuuubeh said:
Ive always wondered why there are no quartz movements with more "beats" than 1Hertz..

Because of the batterie, it would only last a couple of month :D :D :D

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Thanks for the further education- I really am learning some stuff here.
So am I correct in saying that a quartz watch with working chrono isn't really worth having?
cheers

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
The opposite actually. If you want reliability they can't be beat. What he was referring to is how the movement affects the subdial spcing which affects the accuracy of the rep.

Renowned Member
30/3/09
And now after a few simple words from FM I now understand everything I have read so far. Thanks again mate. BTW the watch hasn't left my wrist in 2 days. It is fantastic.
cheers
HP

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
If you want a chrono watch right now, I'd recommend quartz. It will be dead-on accurate (time - not looks) and the chronos will work every time. And, best of all, it won't BLOW UP IN 2 MONTHS the way the A7750 will.
There are many nice watches that have gen quartz models. Tag has several. Buying a quartz rep of these models will usually get you a very nicely done rep.

FYI - when a dealer says "21J Movement", they are talking about the inexpensive 26,000vph movement, which is arguably one of the most dependable movements out there. At least it's the cheapest and easiest to change out! But, yes, it will have a very slightly more stuttered sweep than a smoother 28.8 movement. Impossible to tell on someone wearing the watch. You have to see it up close with the watch still to have a chance of noticing the sweep difference.