• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please don't discount my gen cry gen owners (so says Omega)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
He ( Omega’s president Stephen Urquhart ) says the one key thing the company did in 2009 was that it resisted the temptation to offer discounts.

“We kept our strategy. It came down to consumers wanting to be reassured that the brand was strong. They didn’t want to buy discounted products.

More Here >>>

First, I wonder who they were asking? "Do I want to pay less for your expensive watch- HELL NO! How could I feel good about myself? I might as well get myself a Timex for cripes sake!"

I can understand the resistance to lower prices, it lowers brand value. The fact that they could offer discounts but don't should alleviate any sympathy one might have purchasing a replica. This should make gen owners happy. The more people want a replica, the higher the perceived value of the gen is- imitation is the highest form of flattery.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Omega has only one leg to stand on and they are putting their eggs in one basket. One word...CoAxial. My dealer in town tells me they can get 15 years between servicing's. If that is true, people will pay more money for it, at least that is what their thinking is. Meanwhile, dealers are dropping out to carry only Rolex, Tag and other brands because the price hike on Omega doesn't fit with the other offerings.

Another dealer in town who dropped out of the Omega line, stated, "Why spend so much on an Omega when Rolex holds the value better for a little more money."

I like Omega and I will buy more gens in the future, just "not" new from the dealer. :)

Thanks for the post. :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
My GEN SMP has never been opened and it keeps great time.

Oh and I bought it in December 1998. :wacko:

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
I am seriously looking at purchasing a gen PO. I have both the black and orange bezel POs and I like them so much I think I want the gen.

btw......I also have my eye on a gen SOSF. It's used/refurbished and is in immaculate condititon.

D

d4m.test

I actually do see the reasoning behind this, if suddenly there is a red line through the old price and a new lower one; people feel they have bought something overpriced and not as good as they first thought. After all, I think Omega are on-par with Rolex. I think with Rolex you are paying firstly for the name, and secondly for the exclusivity. By owning something that expensive, you will feel that it is superior to everything - when maybe it's not!

I think it's about keeping the brand on the same level, and that does mean price rises. And I think some people will choose Omega for more than just the price.

I have seen the Submariner for $7533 (16610 version) and the Planet Ocean for $3647. Honestly, $7.5k for the Sub is way overpriced. The bracelet is absolutely rubbish for something of this price. And I believe the new ceramic sub is even more expensive!

Not saying Rolex are rubbish! I just personally think you are paying for more than the watch...

P.S Converted the price to USD

robbnj

11/6/09
I actually do see the reasoning behind this, if suddenly there is a red line through the old price and a new lower one; people feel they have bought something overpriced and not as good as they first thought. After all, I think Omega are on-par with Rolex. I think with Rolex you are paying firstly for the name, and secondly for the exclusivity. By owning something that expensive, you will feel that it is superior to everything - when maybe it's not!

I think it's about keeping the brand on the same level, and that does mean price rises. And I think some people will choose Omega for more than just the price.

I have seen the Submariner for $7533 (16610 version) and the Planet Ocean for $3647. Honestly, $7.5k for the Sub is way overpriced. The bracelet is absolutely rubbish for something of this price. And I believe the new ceramic sub is even more expensive!

Not saying Rolex are rubbish! I just personally think you are paying for more than the watch...

P.S Converted the price to USD

Rolex has the highest advertising budget of any watch company.
You ARE paying for more than the watch.
A LOT more...

D

d4m.test

I wonder what is the true price of the watch in comparison to the retail price. So with Rolex, you are paying for a name? I'm surprised they'd need to advertise, I thought the brand was strong enough already?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
These do!;)
breast_implants_in_us_are_filled_with_sa.jpg

rockets97

Horology Curious
3/5/10
I am seriously looking at purchasing a gen PO. I have both the black and orange bezel POs and I like them so much I think I want the gen.
Yes, i bought the PO from Narikaa about 2 months ago and loved the PO so much that went and purchased the gen. Black bezel and orange number...wear it every day now.