• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planning on a Franken 5th Gen 42mm PO, need some advice

ck6459

11/9/10
After reading through the threads about franken watch, I feel like pulling the trigger on a franken 42mm PO.
However, there aren't much projects being published so I will need some advice from PO experts about following questions:
Which are the deadly give-away parts that I must change for my 5th Gen?
(I know the bracelet is one of it, but a $400 bracelet is not very budget friendly)
Since I'm not good enough to do the swap, any idea who is willing to do the mod?

How much will it normally cost for labor fee?

How will the water resistance be after the mod? Will it be better than with all rep parts?

Thank you.

warpedpig

12/2/07
I'm no expert on this topic, but to my eyes the bezel, specifically the pearl, has never been very close to gen on any PO reps. I would rate that ahead of the bracelet. The dial and hands would be my next objective.

This can get pricy, probably at minimum $500 for the above parts sans installation.

Let us know how it goes with your project.

Forgot to add HE valve and crown should be modded as the rep's versions are bigger than gen.

stefanp67

Horology Curious
5/8/10
I am no expert either :D but having looked at the PO v5 pics and the gen pics i would fit the following parts in the following order:

1. Bezel because of the pearl which is such an obvious tell on big pics
2. Crystal because the rep crystal looks oddly colored in some angles
3. He-valve because the rep valve seems bigger
4. Dial and hands because of the lume and the omega logo
5. Crown and tube for the outstanding durability of the gen crown+tube

And if i invest this much cash on parts i would also get a gen Swiss Eta or Sellita 2824-2 steel colored movement (i don't think the ultra slim 2892 would fit these cases without some modification since they were made for the thicker 2824).

The easy parts to fit is the crystal, dial and hands. The tougher parts is the bezel and tubes for the he-valve and crown.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
several people have already done this and the cost is way more than $500, as the bezel and dial is already that much, let alone the crystal and other parts.

ck6459

11/9/10
Thanks for the guidelines.
Actually i was thinking about modding the pearl and re-align the bezel instead of changing the whole bezel which is really costly.
Swap the crown and he-valve + tubes, perhaps change the crystal and gaskets.
Maybe relume the hands and dial instead of changing all these parts and finally get an ETA2824-2 movement to take over the current asian clone.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think 5th gen 42mm PO has the correct Omega logo? So maybe I can save the cost of a new dial. :D

Here are some picture of my current watch:
front.jpg

dialupclose.jpg

Hevalve.jpg

crown.jpg

back.jpg

warpedpig

12/2/07
For $500, you can get dial, bezel, and hands...way more for full mod and in my opinion, can venture into the 'not worth it' range when considering the price of a used gen.

Your dial actually looks very, very close...some of the earlier run had the Omega logo too close to the word OMEGA. I think you can get by without changing the dial.

The pearl will be difficult to mod as the diameter of the metal ring casing on the rep is simply too big when compared to the gen.

Good Luck and show us some pics of your progress.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
what do you mean about re aligning the bezel and pearl mod?

I might have some answers for you if it is what I think it is you are planning on doing.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
A question from me as i am planning to make the same project.should i go with swiss,asian or sw200 movement?

ck6459

11/9/10
what do you mean about re aligning the bezel and pearl mod?

I might have some answers for you if it is what I think it is you are planning on doing.
My bezel is not properly aligned as u can see from the pic, that is the best i can do make it centred. So i may need help to remove the bezel and place it in correct orientation such that the pearl align with the 12 marker.
I was thinking about finding someone who can remove the pearl and make a pearl like the one R2 did which looks like the gen pearl.

A question from me as i am planning to make the same project.should i go with swiss,asian or sw200 movement?
I don't really know much about movement, do you already own a PO or are u buying one? If you r buying a watch, just go for asian clone as u can swap it with eta anytime, you dont normally get new ETA from reps. If you already have one with clone, u can consider swapping the movement for a ETA and get it serviced so it can last for next couple of years w/o problem.

stefanp67

Horology Curious
5/8/10
I think the glue used for the bezel insert can be heated a little allowing the bezel insert to be turned by hand. At least this was possible on older reps.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
yes, the bezel can be heated up. all it takes is a hair dryer on the hottest setting. it should take about a minute or two of full blast heat on the bezel at close range. that should soften up the bezel insert for you to slide the bezel over a bit. be careful cuz the watch will be really hot, so hot in fact it'll be too hot to touch. I removed the movement first then heated up the bezel, then put the movement back in, just because i wasn't sure how so much heat would do to the movement.

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
if it's a 42mm PO i think it looks awesome as it is. dial and hands only if the gen lume is what you're after. if not for the lume i would not have bothered with my 45mm gen dial and hands, but.. having said that the 45mm had more tells.

AR or gen crystal would be a nice touch.

ck6459

11/9/10
Won't heating the bezel damage the crystal sealing as well? I was wondering if anyone is willing to accept a mod? Preferably someone from australia or US.