• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean Strap Repair - Repost

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Reposted from Pugwash's World. Original posting date: 20th Jan 2007.

po45-01.jpg

My 45mm Planet Ocean arrived today from Precious Time and as I am sure you can imagine, this made me very happy. However, while trying to resize the strap, I noticed this:

po-00.jpg

Crap. Time to mail PT. He replied that he'd order in a replacement and this made me happy once again. Good dealers look after you. So, I put it on my Bob for Breitling 22mm strap and went to work. It got praised by those who notice these kinds of things and all was well once more.

However, I was determined not to be beaten by what PT described as "one of the worst places to break from" and got out an old Seanaster (sic) strap. It almost worked too, however the end piece was different and it stopped it from closing and all manner of stuff that didn't make me happy.

po-01.jpg

As you can see, the ends are different. So, I did what anyone in my position would do. I got out the table vice and started thinking. If I put a split pin across it and widened the closed end and then splayed out the open end with an awl ...

po-02.jpg

In the vice everything goes ...

po-03.jpg

That's the closed end secured, but the open end is too long.

po-04.jpg

Now, doesn't Mrs Pugwash have some metal shears? If not, I'll have to get out the dremel. Oh, lookee here!

po-05.jpg

Get in there, my son!

po-05b.jpg

... and that seemed to do.

po-06.jpg

Let's tidy it up a bit ...

po-07.jpg

... and put it back together.

po-08.jpg

There, all back together.

po-09.jpg

Oh, one word about the PO bracelet, like the gen, it has tubes inside the bits. These are the three parts of each link:

po-10.jpg

If you ever need to resize your strap and you're new to this whole thing, take it to a shop. It's one of the most stubborn bitches I've ever worked on. Damn, it's tough. I broke one pin wrenching it out with pliers, when the tools I used would go no further. Seriously, pay someone.

And here it is!

po-11.jpg

andei3000

12/1/07
I can feel with you, great solution for this problem.

Today I had to repair my fathers Daydate (had some fog inside, and he took it in the oven by 90°C --> the glue of the
daywheel melted, and I was not able to move the crown between time and datesetting --> so I had to take the whole movement apart.

It was the first time I did this work, no handremovertool, no tweezer I had just two screwdrivers which I had to grind a little bit smaller)

and finally after reassembling the whole thing two roman numbers fell off so again open everything glue back the numbers.

Et voilÃ: Watch works like a charm and I have ordered a watchmaker toolset!!!

Greetings Andei3000

rapidascent

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/06
Same thing happened to my PO clasp and I fixed it with....

a pin from my wife's pincushion! It already had a head on one side, pushed it through and cut the other end and bent it over just like pugwash did. Strong and I suspect it has a higher tensile strength than the soft bracelet pins.
BTW there is a sticky here somewhere that shows the easy way to push the pins through the braclet. Just add an extra length of pin on your bracelet tool to drive out the band pin. Then you don't have to try to pull the pin out of the band. Thats how I broke my clasp and I bet that how yours broke also.
Cheers
rapidascent

Heres the link http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22481

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Three years later and Pug's pics of the 3 pieces of the links was exactly what I was looking for. Searched for planet/ocean/bracelet/tubes and here I am! Wanted to see if the little tube was a Rep workaround, but neat to hear it's similar to the gen.

I resized a 42mm PO yesterday and might have gotten lucky that I didn't break those flimsy pins. I didn't notice the tube until after I had put the link back on (and corrected that), but when I saw it I realized why it was such a bugger to get out (and then back in). Used a needlenose plier(s) to get them out and managed to get the job done. Had to used them to hammer...I mean "tap" the second pin back in, but got it done!