• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean Mods

marshal1085

Known Member
12/11/10
Hey guys,

Received my planet ocean 42mm a couple weeks or so ago, and it already stopped working! Pretty frustrating.

So, I guess I'm going to send it to Goin and get it serviced. While there, I thought I might do some mods. Maybe AR and a lume.

What do you guys think? Should I consider getting something else done?

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Gen dial, gen hands, gen crystal, gen crown, gen bezel insert- did i forget anything?

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
Gen caseback, gen he valve, gen strap.... i love how far u can take the po:D

D

d4m.test

If you're getting a relume, I wouldn't bother with gen dial or hands. I also thought the AR was pretty good on the PO reps. I'd start with either the bezel insert or the whole entire bezel. My eyes are always drawn to the pearl on reps.

If you're having trouble with the rep clasp, I'd go for a gen clasp next. After all, it's the part of the watch you'll be using the most.

But yeah, I'd do a relume first.

D

d4m.test

The AR is good but it has a blue tint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's different than the gen.

From Gen pics and discussions I've seen, older ones have blue ar while newer ones do not. There are Gen owners that prefer the older blue ar, and are even looking for older replacement crystals.

I have a PO with blue ar and no anti counterfeit globe, and it's still accurate.

marshal1085

Known Member
12/11/10
From Gen pics and discussions I've seen, older ones have blue ar while newer ones do not. There are Gen owners that prefer the older blue ar, and are even looking for older replacement crystals.

I have a PO with blue ar and no anti counterfeit globe, and it's still accurate.

Wow. That is interesting and would save me some money then!

tracyl

22/4/11
Bummer about the watch. But if you bought the 21j variety, then you may not be able to do any mods. If you purchased the more upgraded version with the A2824-2 movement, then you could do some mods.

On the flip side, if you bought the 21j version, a movement swap is really cheap...about $25 from ofrei. I've done it several times on different model watches and it is not very difficult.

Or if you didn't buy Asian 2824 movement version, you might want to just upgrade now and same yourself the hassle of upgrading a cheaper watch.

I think the issue with upgrading the movement to a A2824 is that the stem/crown location is different and also the dial feet are in different locations.
Just my .02, good luck!
Tracy

Hey guys,

Received my planet ocean 42mm a couple weeks or so ago, and it already stopped working! Pretty frustrating.

So, I guess I'm going to send it to Goin and get it serviced. While there, I thought I might do some mods. Maybe AR and a lume.

What do you guys think? Should I consider getting something else done?

marshal1085

Known Member
12/11/10
Bummer about the watch. But if you bought the 21j variety, then you may not be able to do any mods. If you purchased the more upgraded version with the A2824-2 movement, then you could do some mods.

On the flip side, if you bought the 21j version, a movement swap is really cheap...about $25 from ofrei. I've done it several times on different model watches and it is not very difficult.

Or if you didn't buy Asian 2824 movement version, you might want to just upgrade now and same yourself the hassle of upgrading a cheaper watch.

I think the issue with upgrading the movement to a A2824 is that the stem/crown location is different and also the dial feet are in different locations.
Just my .02, good luck!
Tracy

Luckily, I ordered the A2824. Well, I really don't know how to tell the difference but I paid for the A2824.

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
I'd say crown/tube, clasp and a relume.
Gen ETA movement if possible.

tracyl

22/4/11
Then you are in luck. You should be able to upgrade everything. I know my watch guy here in Denver can probably fix the movement. The good about the A2824 is that it can take ETA parts, so that means it can be fixed relatively cheap. I know my guy can't do an AR and Crown/Tube replacement, but he could install a new dial and hands. Go to nuwaywatch.com if you are in the US.

Luckily, I ordered the A2824. Well, I really don't know how to tell the difference but I paid for the A2824.

w_man

Horology Curious
10/6/12
Question on the caseback for the newer 42 POs:

From the pictures I've seen in the forums the smaller PO casebacks appear to be pretty spot on. That said, the latest UPO (45mm) caseback I've got is total crap compared to the gen. Stipple engraving is far too shallow. Looks cheap IMO. I've not been able to find a picture of the 42 gen caseback next to a newer rep caseback of the same size. Anyone willing to oblige, or point me to where I might find a comparison picture?

Before knowing anything about watches, the Omega caseback was one of the first distinguishing features of quality that drew me to the brand...

D

d4m.test

Well if that's the case, forget about the service. Just buy a new swiss movement.

http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

You can get an SW200 for $160, or an ETA 2824 for $190.

Just get any local watchsmith to slap it in, and you're good to go with a brand new swiss movement. Just make sure the old datewheel from your A2824 gets transferred over to the new movement.

D

d4m.test

Why is that?

Just because the datewheel on the Asian 2824 would be the proper white numbers on black background, and the new Swiss movement from Otto Frei would be generic black numbers on white background. It's a really obvious difference that most watchsmiths shouldn't miss, but you never know. I've heard of crazier things happening.

Boneventura

Known Member
16/12/11
Just because the datewheel on the Asian 2824 would be the proper white numbers on black background, and the new Swiss movement from Otto Frei would be generic black numbers on white background. It's a really obvious difference that most watchsmiths shouldn't miss, but you never know. I've heard of crazier things happening.

I never ordered anything from Ofrei, because I'm in Europe, but usually you can choose which dw color you want with you movement. Don't they offer both black and white?

D

d4m.test

I never ordered anything from Ofrei, because I'm in Europe, but usually you can choose which dw color you want with you movement. Don't they offer both black and white?

They do for some, but regardless the date wheel on a rep is usually custom made with very specific colors and fonts sizes and styles to match gen. There's way more to it than just black or white