• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean from sillix

jsuperman17

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
24/6/09
thanx guru... im just itching for a that particular watch and no seems to have it.. any sugguestions...

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
that is your decision, I wouldn't do it. send a mail to Hont with a pic and tell him what you wnt, he may find it for you

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Silix told me to pay for this very watch first and then they'd send me photos after receiving the money. If that isn't fishy then I don't know what is.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
silix is fine - Ive bought a few off him, and he is ok

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Silix told me to pay for this very watch first and then they'd send me photos after receiving the money. If that isn't fishy then I don't know what is.

At a guess Silix takes your money and goes to buy your watch. I don't think they keep a lot of stock on hand. Little hard to take pics of watch before they have it.

Regardless, it is normal pratice that pics of "your" watch are sent after it's checked and QC'd, both of which happen after you pay. Gunna be the same with any
dealer.

Col.

Vert

2/9/09
To pay for a watch before receiving pictures makes a lot of sense to me. If I were a smaller volume dealer I would prefer to take payment and then source the watch. After sourcing the watch give it a once over to make sure it is as expected and provide pics to the buyer. Nothing fishy about it.

From my perspective as a buyer I actually prefer it this way. No dealer is going to want to sit on stock that is slow to move. I think new members may be unnecessarily wary of sending money before they see the product. Much if not any purchase is going to involve a little trust. If it doesn't work out move on to the next dealer. I doubt any dealer here wants bad press. I look forward to doing business with them.

Vert

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Maybe I have forgotten how Ruby did my last transaction or on the other hand maybe Ruby had the watch in stock. But would be helpful if they posted current photos there instead of a watch that has been out of production for more than 2 years. Interesting thing to note too is that for a long time there have been semi-correct bezel models of this watch floating around in China that oddly haven't appeared on this forum. Most of the 42mm watches that are being sold right now by the other vendors on here have a few incorrect pieces and there's some more accurate looking stuff overseas, just you'd have to find the right dealer to source it and also the bezels aren't always tight on those. So I am guessing the reason why most bezels are incorrect now is because they fit tight and have less q/c issues.

gundy1907

Looking Around
4/1/10
Help with choosing omega

Hey there. I'm truly a boy amongst men on this forum. I was wondering if you could help me as well. Not sure how to post a message. So I guess replying to one is the best. I really want an Omega. Now i bought one from a street vendor in NY on a trip last may for $55.00 bucks. It still works, but i notice around the back case that the metal is starting to flake. I buffed it out and it left some dark spots. I'm sure this was due to sweat, so my question is. Will you get the same problems with an $80-100 dollar watch, and how about one for $250. If you know of any other differences (metal or movement type)between the street, budget and upper class models, I sure would apprciate it. Thanks for you help. Gundy.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Hi Gundy,

The watch you got in NY is probably coated or plated carbon steel or brass. The reps we buy here are mostly solid 304/316SS. I have a 42MM Planet Ocean and it's solid stainless steel.

So short answer to your question is you will be much better off with spending 100 here. :)

gundy1907

Looking Around
4/1/10
Thanks r2d2. Do you know if the street movement is the same as the $100 watch? If you had $250 bucks, would you buy 2 $100 watches or 1 $250.00 watch. thanks gundy

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Well if your talking this model specifically and your asking ole R2 from Minnesota, I would always go with an ETA clone model. Those selling genuine ETA are only going by what the factory tells them. That's whole other debate, but I would never expect a 100% swiss ETA as you won't get a certificate of origin. ;) Everybody is out of the V3 PO 42 and the model they sell now has a Helium valve that sticks out too far and a crown that is too short.

Out of the box, the 45.5 UPO is a better buy as Daytona4me can get these for 180.00 with an ETA movement.

If Silix can give you exactly what is pictured by giving you a picture before shipping it, go for it. With your regard to your Canal Street watch, I bet it has an inexpensive 21J movement so if it breaks you can put another in for about 20 bucks. The advantage of buying the ETA model is mod-ability and finish. I put a gen dial, hands, band, pearl and crystal on mine. ;)

IMGP5062.jpg

Sperry

2/8/07
Silix is OK, but some of his stuff is a little different than most other reps, must be different factory.

robbnj

11/6/09
At a guess Silix takes your money and goes to buy your watch. I don't think they keep a lot of stock on hand. Little hard to take pics of watch before they have it.

Regardless, it is normal pratice that pics of "your" watch are sent after it's checked and QC'd, both of which happen after you pay. Gunna be the same with any
dealer.

Col.

Or you can buy one sight unseen from a reputable dealer & not have to worry that you'll get cr@p (Narikka is a good source since he hand-picks the watches instead of drop-shipping).

zomgomfgrofl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/09
Well if your talking this model specifically and your asking ole R2 from Minnesota, I would always go with an ETA clone model. Those selling genuine ETA are only going by what the factory tells them. That's whole other debate, but I would never expect a 100% swiss ETA as you won't get a certificate of origin. ;) Everybody is out of the V3 PO 42 and the model they sell now has a Helium valve that sticks out too far and a crown that is too short.

Out of the box, the 45.5 UPO is a better buy as Daytona4me can get these for 180.00 with an ETA movement.

If Silix can give you exactly what is pictured by giving you a picture before shipping it, go for it. With your regard to your Canal Street watch, I bet it has an inexpensive 21J movement so if it breaks you can put another in for about 20 bucks. The advantage of buying the ETA model is mod-ability and finish. I put a gen dial, hands, band, pearl and crystal on mine. ;)

IMGP5062.jpg

That crystal is beautiful! the AR shows really well... :err:... or doesnt

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Or you can buy one sight unseen from a reputable dealer & not have to worry that you'll get cr@p (Narikka is a good source since he hand-picks the watches instead of drop-shipping).

Ah mate, Silix do not drop ship! If they did they could not take pics of the watch could they? Any dealer, Narikka included will send out a bad watch now and again. We have been working extensivly with Watch Silix to improve their level of QC and service and I belive it has been a success. Reading the reviews put up lately I see little or no complaint. I do see a lot of happy customers tho. Rest assured if that changes we will be on John's case about it.

Col.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Still waiting for someone to buy the latest from silix and post photos ;) otherwise might as well wait for the cartels to start offering a much pricier one in a few months :p