• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean disassembly/crystal replacement?

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
In the process of trying to rehab my mortally wounded PO (tire iron hit the crystal and shattered it). I'm trying to remove the cracked crystal from mine and replacing it with the crystal from another PO. Is there a DIY or tutorial on taking apart the case/bezel/crystal?

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Thanks surfer, that does help out :thumbsup:

Anyone know if i just press the crystal out after that? Problem is that it's cracked to hell and back...

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Got the crystal out but didn't get the bezel off. Anyone have a method other than the knife? I can't get anything in there remotely thick enough to start to pry it off...everything I try just breaks off.

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
nop... best method is the knife ... I did change the insert on one of my UPO I took of the bezel with a knife but ... just take the strap off first so you won't break the tubes... Yes it i not so easy anyway so have fun :)

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I never did get mine out. Can't find anything thin enough to wedge in there deep enough to get a good pry at it, but strong enough to not break off.

bkushner

Horology Curious
1/11/09
Same with me. I need to reglue the lume on number 6 as it is floating now. I assume we can't get at the dial face from the back?

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
You can actually. You need to take the movement out and the dial comes out with it.. Take off the case back, take out the stem, and pull the movement and dial assembly, and you should be able to glue the marker on from there.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Gents if I may offer a suggestion. If you can get the movement and crystal out you can then remove the insert from the bezel. From there you can try and snake out the bezel retainer wire. Viola... Bam... No fuss.. No horky da bezel.

pjku79

Horology Curious
20/11/11
Well damn. I tried to remove mine yesterday because the 11 dot fell out and was floating. I had enough room to get in between so i tried slowly prying around in a circular pattern. I did end up finally popping it free, but when I stuck it on the table I noticed that the first area I pried on bent it. Glad mine is only the cheapo version. So, now im in search of another pumpkin bezel.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Well damn. I tried to remove mine yesterday because the 11 dot fell out and was floating. I had enough room to get in between so i tried slowly prying around in a circular pattern. I did end up finally popping it free, but when I stuck it on the table I noticed that the first area I pried on bent it. Glad mine is only the cheapo version. So, now im in search of another pumpkin bezel.

Get two small pieces of plywood. Put your bezel (minus the insert) between the two in a vice and squeeze. Turn it and squeeze it, repeat. You will be surprised how well it will straighten out. Just make sure the pressure is even from the center.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2