• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 45mm Chrono Ultimate Edition

stlsig

Horology Curious
5/6/08
Gentleman:

Noob here. I've done all my research and concluded that I want to purchase the Omega Planet Ocean 45mm Chrono Ultimate Edition, I even went as far as to try on all the watches I wanted at the local Jewelery store prior to making my decision. I'm looking for the black face, white numerals, steel bracelet. Here are my questions for y'all:

1) Can the bracelet be replaced with a gen bracelet?
2) It looks like most of the ones I found on Trusty Time, Silix, and Pure Time have the Asian movement. I'd like opinions on which is the better of them (links below).
3) Are there any other dealers or members that has one that I should be looking at?
4) Is there one with a Swiss Movement?
5) Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can impart on me, i've spent almost a month reading the forums, and I think I have a decent base to decide from, but I'd really appreciate the knowledge from y'all.

LINKS:

Trusty - http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1081

Silix -
http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1717

Puretime -
http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php? ... es#inquiry

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
There is nothing wrong with the Asian movement. The only way I would be willing to pay the kind of premium that a Swiss movement would command, would be in the event that it corrected the subdial spacing problem, which it does not.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Welcome to RWI,

Yes, the strap can be replaced. I replaced mine with gen. The Asian movement is good. The price's have gone up a bit over the last year. On dealers, these our the trusted dealers listed. You can also try Ruby and ask if she can "personally look" at your request since that's what she markets as her trade mark.

Good luck, it's a great watch!

Matt

stlsig

Horology Curious
5/6/08
Thank you both for the replies, It's hard to take that first step and make the decision which to get, so I appreciate the help.

Matt: Where did you get the gen bracelet from and what should I expect to pay?

Greg

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I ordered it from the AD here where I live. Cost me about $200. After I got it, I felt I probably could of stayed with the one that it was sent with. The Gen is a bit stiffer, feels operates smoother. I would not do it again. I would go with a high-end after-market with orange stitching.

Once you get the watch, go to your local AD (without a rep on) and feel the watch and the original strap them go back home and feel what you ordered and you should be ok.

Pull the trigger, you wont be disapointed. Everyone here seems to love this watch including me.

Mat

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Firstly, a gen bracelet will be very expensive (a lot more than $200), and not worth it IMO. The Planet Ocean 22mm bracelets are very good. This watch is not available with a swiss movement. And finally, all the links you posted are the exact same watch. Just make sure that you get the one with the proper "inward facing" date font, as there are still some older models floating around.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Keep in mind that the biggest flaw in the PO chrono is the subdail spacing. It is quite noticable. I feel a better choice would be non-chrono version, which is available with a swiss movement. If you're dead set on the chrono, the 7750 is still a good movement though.

stlsig

Horology Curious
5/6/08
Gentleman...

It's done, I bought the model from Trusty Time. I appreciate everyones replies and advice. I was dead set on the chrono model after I tried on all the different gens at the store, I know it may not be as close to the gen as the UPO or the PO, but I'm infatuated with that watch and I'm pretty sure I'll be searching out the Breitling Navitimer World next.

So 7-10 days from now I'll be slipping my Victrinoix off for the first time in 8 years and replacing it. I'm stoked!

Now all I have to do is find a good Cartier Roadster rep for my girlfriend...

Greg

stlsig

Horology Curious
5/6/08
My watch arrived today... It looks great as far as I can tell. I do need some assistance though. I''ve been able to set the date and get the watch wound, but I can't set the time, I'm sure it's something I'm missing. Any ideas?

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Need to pull the crown out further.... It's the next step from the date setting.

stlsig

Horology Curious
5/6/08
Simple Enough. The site i was reading said it was inward of the date so I couldn't get it to work. Anyhow, here are a few pictures that I took with my cellphone.

My frist impression is that I'm floored how much it just "feels right" once I get home tonight I'll start to look at it in more detail, but many thanks goto Andrew for what looks to be a wonderful first watch in my collection.

Click Link for pictures...
http://gsgates.net/gallery/album48