• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 42mm Relume [with pics]

Esprit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/8/12
I love the two-tone lume of the new 8500 planet ocean and since my Perfect Clones lume was not very good, I finally went ahead and relumed my orange Planet Ocean.

It was as hard as **** to do, I have a huge amount of respect not only for the excellent modders on this website who provide such high-quality finish, but for the Chinese people who get paid $1 a day to lume watches!

This was the first mechanical watch I'd properly disassembled so I was very nervous. It came apart and went back together without anything flying out or breaking so fingers-crossed it will continue to do so. Incredibly fiddly, and I had to sharpen my tiny screwdrivers to deal with all the screws.

The lume itself has turned out quite well. Doing the indices was extremely tough and I'd be interested to know how others have done them (fill up and then wipe the excess? go extremely slowly to avoid going over the edge?). Most aren't perfect but it'll do.

My biggest regret is that I used too much binder in the mix for the hands so I don't think they're as bright as they could be. I would consider reluming them but only once I know how you can replace the second hand without spending 40 frustrating minutes of your life trying to do so!

I smeared a little blue lume on the pearl but it's not noticable, that's a mission for another day perhaps.

Photos

With lighting:
20910-daylight.JPG

Obligatory 1-second exposure shot
20909-1%20second%20exposure.JPG

On the wrist:
20912-wrist%20shot.JPG

Normal exposure pic:
20911-Normal%20snap.JPG

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I was thinking of doing something like that... Very nice result!