• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 42mm Purchase

forrestwhite

Known Member
1/10/09
Hi all,

Here's your chance to help a fellow member purchase their first Omega rep! :)

I've been looking at the PO for a number of weeks and finally narrowed the dealers down to 3 options (1 of which I recognize is not a Trusted Dealer, but which has had great reviews).

They are as follows:

TrustyTime: http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_114&products_id=7063

PureTime: http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/planet-ocean-42mm-ultimate-edition-blackwhite-on-ss-bracelet-eta2836/

Trevor: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/omega-planet-ocean-42mm-blk-88534

Overall, I'm looking at the comparison between price and movement, and they are as follows:

TrustyTime: Swiss ETA 2824-2, $318
PureTime: ETA 2836-2, $288
Trevor: ASIAN ETA 2836, $188

These are my initial thoughts/questions:

• The TrustTime movement is Swiss, which I'd prefer for reliability/accuracy, however as we all know some dealers do not actually send out new Swiss movements. So, are the old Swiss ETA's still better than the Asian ETA's?
  • PureTime's watch is $100 more than Trevor's for what appears to be the same movement. I assume it is the same Asian ETA 2836 because PureTime's ad doesn't specifically say Swiss. Does anyone have any further information on this?
Based on the above, I'm torn between Trevor and TrustyTime. Can anyone vouch as to the reliability of the Asian ETA 2836 in the PO? Am I better off spending the extra $130 for the Swiss movement?

Any overall recommendations?

Thanks guys!
FW

PhotoGuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/11
I have a similar thread but with 45 UPOs. For what I've seen, Asian vs ETA usually are about $60 higher, not $100. Markup? Maybe. I can't speak to the quality of either (yet). I'll be keeping an eye for other opinions.

msusox80

4/1/11
Well I'm no Great forum expert, but I can speak to the A2836 movements. They are fantastic and very accurate. More importantly they are all 100% brand new. I have seen dozens of movement comparisons on here and the common denominator has been that with the Swiss ETA's theres always a pretty good chance you are getting a refurbished movement. Which if you have the $$ to get serviced is fine. However for us regular watch folk the A2836 has the least liability with purchase, plus its cheaper :)
Hope this helps. Like I said use the search function as there are TONS of comparisons on the 2 movements. Cheers!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
DO NOT buy the swiss one... There are many topics about the situation about them... There are a few dealers that really give you an eta movement but doesnt worth the extra money. The clone is a very good and stable movement.
Had one my self and its running very good and sweping is very nice and like the eta one... Save your money there.
If you really want an eta buy it afterwards or if/when the clone dies. That is the best way to go, if you ask me...

nr73

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/11
Seconded. I have a 42mm with a clone 2824, the sweep is nice, keeps very accurate time and I have no complaints about it at all.

forrestwhite

Known Member
1/10/09
Thanks for your input everyone! I ended up going with the Asian 2836 movement from Angus (Puretime). I'm currently waiting on the QC photos to be sent (which as I understand it should follow in 24 hours?) and then I'll post them here for your guys' help in finding the right one!

Thanks again!

FW

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Wise decision and hope it lives up to expectations. I'm sure it will.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Congrats. You can't go wrong with Angus and you're going to like the 42mm PO.