• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

pin for pushing 42.5mm 4th generation PO midlink pins out

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Hi I know I asked this before on the chatbox but thought I'd ask here.

I have a brand new watch, the infamous 4th generation you know. I want to wear it and not sell it of course :)

Anyways, I have the red pusher that they sell on Amazon but the pin it comes with is too big.

Anyone know what I can replace the pin with?

I bought the tool specifically to size this watch and possibly any other high end rep Omega that I acquire in the future. I know there was a guy on here that bent the pin it came with and replaced it but he didn't really mention anything about sizes. I'm amazed too because it doesn't fit. He must've pushed against the thing and broke the pin because it wouldn't fit in lol. But yeah I know some people don't have the eyes for small objects like I do.

Thanks

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
I found that a #61 drill bit will fit. Might have to find where to buy one of those. Not sure what else, I think a drill bit might snap but I"m not sure.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Ok I found a cheaper solution was to buy a #61 drill bit blank which I'm guessing is what they cut a drill bit from. So will see how that goes in a few days when I receive it in the mail. Going to take the pin out of my red tool and put that in its place. I'm hoping this works because it is a beautiful watch I want to wear :)

edit: #61 was only thin enough to push up to the midlink. I just ordered #64 and #65 drill bit blanks. These things appear to be made out of hardened steel so I hadn't broke the one I had and I put a lot of pressure on it.

Will keep this posted with where I get with it. Once I get the final tool assembled I'll post some photos. I'm going to end up using red lock tite on the knob and the pin. I already stripped the thread on the screw that holds the pin in. Have not scratched the watch which is my goal to keep it from getting scratched anywhere.

And by the way, the pin in the links of the watch measures to 0.036" diameter and I'm unsure how they did the friction mechanism in the midlink so either it will push it clean through or I'll have to go to the #65 which is 0.035" diameter. As of now, I have the watch with the pin sticking out of the side of the link and it has some play so nothing has binded or got damaged inside the midlink.

Edit: I glanced over the above. A 0.8mm pin pusher would work as said above. So I may have just ordered the wrong size again but will see what happens. The 0.8mm will be pretty thin anyway if what I ordered works then I should be set.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
I cut the 0.035" drill bit blank and put it in my tool and what do you know, resized 42.5mm 4th generation PO on my wrist. It was smooth to push the pins out and to get them back in, I just pushed them in on the corner tile in the kitchen.

Now the clasp on this watch seems to need some work. It comes open by itself and also the last link next to the clasp likes to flop perpendicular just like on my other PO.

I found that a 0.039" piece of drill bit blank with a touch of red locktite fit in perfectly in place of the tiny pin that the watchmaker put in the link next to the clasp that was causing me problems. The original pin was much too small and had too much slack in the midlink arm of the clasp and could very easily be pushed out with the 0.035" pin using my fingers and no tool. Now the only thing I need to do is take apart the spring and bend it and reassemble it into the watch. The clasp still is popping off my wrist.