• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pictorial comparison of the gen & rep Omega SMP Chrono.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06

Un "Omega Seamaster Professionnel", en homage de By-Tor, pour vous.

Short & sweet; first photo is the gen, second is the rep.

SMP chrono rep courtesy of Josh last week, I've re-aligned the insert, and the 7750's movement has been adjusted to less than +5 secs per day. Contemplating throwing in a gen Eta 7750 & a re-lume job, per Ziggy--the gen 7750 will have the correct datewheel font as this one does not, but I could care less about it as of now.

The weight is spot-on; only within a few, meer grams of the gen (both having been sized to my wrist) and is so close, the difference is immeasurable in hand.

The band is fantastic; its only flaw, the ubiquitous rep screws, as opposed to pins.

Btw, the rep watch tested solid to 300 feet at the same AD I bought my gen from--the strongest pressure test on a rep I've (personally) seen yet! Simply amazing. And this weekend, she went down to about 60 feet, sound as a pound.

My apologies for the fuzzy picture quality--as it's low light & my tripod's been loaned out.

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

kjn908.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_0021a.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

And here's the clearest pic I could get of the rep's dial:

IMG_0028.jpg

And as with all reps the lume is decent, but unlike the gen it appears to fade fast. However, to its credit I will say I took this watch off my wrist @ 11 PM last night after toying with the lume & a flashlight, and when I awoke to have a slash around 4 AM, (in a completely dark room, mind you) it was still lit enough to tell exactly what time it was--hour markers and all. I must say so far, this is the closest to gen rep straight from the Box I've seen since the proverbial Rolex Explorer I.

Quite nice; four out of five stars.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Very nice comparison picture... I should say this replica is certainly worth buying (it has reached pricing below 200 bucks shipped).

As for datewheel, some of lucky members (e.g: ByTor) have it with correct datefont (Omega uses ETA standard font).

WELL DONE!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
takashi said:
As for datewheel, some of lucky members (e.g: ByTor) have it with correct datefont (Omega uses ETA standard font).

Yeah, when it comes to reps I must have been born under lucky stars. I like this watch a lot, excellent rep indeed. It's a permanent keeper for me.

@Gio: Great, great work. I will add this to my Omega Guide for the next update.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
Very good comparison pics, thanks!

Its comforting to know that our SMP Chrono reps are so good!

Can you tell us how you managed to remove the insert please?
I've been trying to get the bezel off but its really stubborn so I dont
wanna damage it...

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Thanks for the compliments!

Some of these models have bezels on too tight to remove without warping. On some, I've had to remove the case back & movement, pop out the crystal, and wedge an X-acto blade under the insert (from the inside of the case) in order to remove it.

On the SMP, I already had a replacement bezel insert, and just removed the old one by prying it up carefully with a blade from the outside, then just epoxying on the new one in the correct position.

I hear you can simply heat the insert up with a hair dryer for 2-3 minutes until the glue becomes soft enough to simply turn the insert by hand, but I'm skeptical about using prolonged exposure to heat.

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
Great pictorial Gio , Enjoy your watch, I have one too , and I must have been lucky with my datefont.

sgm6s

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/06
Great pics, wish I could afford both! :wink:

The rep's lume is a different color too, correct?

ar0401

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/06
Beautiful snapshots, excellent comparison, thank you gioarmani7428. I really enjoyed reading this thread,
and I also have precisely the same watch. Just a couple of questions to you as to owner of the gen.
First, is the bezel insert on the rep a little bit darker than on the gen?
Second, does the pearl on the gen have a small transparent (glass?) cover, like on the rep?

Thanks again, man! :)

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
ar0401 said:
Beautiful snapshots, excellent comparison, thank you gioarmani7428. I really enjoyed reading this thread,
and I also have precisely the same watch. Just a couple of questions to you as to owner of the gen.
First, is the bezel insert on the rep a little bit darker than on the gen?
Second, does the pearl on the gen have a small transparent (glass?) cover, like on the rep?

Thanks again, man! :)

Thank you!

To answer your questions:

1) Yes. But only on the older generation gens. The newer ones are darker.

2) Yes, they both do. The SMPs don't actually have an actual/proper "pearl", as the Rolex do. It's just a layer of clear polymer, to protect the C3 lume underneath.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well Q you can imagine what is coming... Just wait a little bit hehe

Nice bump by the way!!!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thanks. I don't have a chrono in my line-up. The black version might work.

guami007

Renowned Member
27/2/11
Here's hoping that Trevor gets back to me on my request. The SMP 300M Chrono in Black will be my next acquistion.