• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patrick Bateman first build 16013 - VS3135

neejij

Getting To Know The Place
24/4/24
Hi RWI,
I got inspired by the user @Replicated and his vintage build. I have six Seikos, and my favorite is a two-tone quartz that looks like Patrick Bateman's watch from the movie American Psycho.

However, I wanted more, specifically the book version of this watch. This is my first build ever, and I messaged @Replicated for advice.
The total price, excluding tools, was around €660.

This was the crown jewel of the build

Where to start?

Installing the date wheel on the vs3135:

This was kind of easy but required a few attempts.

I damaged the wheel a little bit, but it’s not noticeable once in the case. You need to put this wheel under all the round/circle holders.

Here you can see it’s not correctly installed. Look at the bottom right. You can test the date wheel in the movement itself.

Next up was fitting the glass and bezel. This also went wrong a lot. The white round spacer between the bezel and glass should be bigger at the top than the bottom, otherwise, the glass won't sit evenly.

Push the glass first, then the bezel.

Looks quite right.

From the side.

Next, i fitted the band. I also removed one of the non-removable links from the short end of the bracelet because I have small wrists. It's pretty tight now, but it will get better over time as it’s worn.

Big vs small boy.

Beginners mistake i did not know how to fit the dial on the movement.
There are two screws on the side that need to be loosened. I also lost one of these screws for about an hour on the ground, which was not fun.

What a beauty! I got the date to jump at almost perfect 12 o'clock. Putting the second hand on took incredibly long. I think it took me almost 3 hours to put the hands on.

After that, I noticed that I did not have the securing screws. I ordered those and waited for them to arrive.

You can see the securing screws fitting into the case at the top and bottom.

I was shaking the watch and putting on the back to ensure everything was correctly installed. I forgot to take pictures of shortening the stem, but you can find many tutorials on YouTube.

Final thoughts.
Putting together this project was not difficult, but it was frustrating and time-consuming at times.

I am considering giving this watch a more vintage look or making some gen upgrades.
It's a bit strange for a vintage watch to look this new, but I think it will make a great daily beater.

What do you guys think?

Replicated

Supporter
Certified
19/2/15
NL 🇳🇱
Looks so good, it is a bit trial and error sometimes. But it is fun and now you have something nice to wear too!

I am glad I could help you with this one.

Reactions: Hec

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Nice build! I think of this as a 16233 since it has the sapphire crystal. But it has the lugholes which were there until 1995, so it's early.
Did you use a spacer when installing the movement and dial in the case?
Also, the rehaut is fairly deep- much deeper that the rehaut on my 16013

This is a gen case and dial with a 2836-2 movement and a spacer ring. And the plastic 135 crystal. Not sure if a plastic crystal can be fitted in a Raffles case. I've been thinking about a 16234 build for a while but I really don't need another DJ!
Enjoy your beautiful watch and don't worry about it looking too new!

neejij

24/4/24
@alligoat Nice build!
I also think that the gen crown looks different from mine.

You are correct about the 16013/16233.
It has the holes and the sapphire crystal.
It also had the filled in band.
I don't think they came original like this.

Yes i used the spacer! The small white thingy right ?

neejij

24/4/24
Did some research. It is indeed more of a 16233

Carrera

Do not accept unsolicited offers
2/5/24
Your build is stunning @neejij ! I too have taken on a 5 digit datejust as a first build, and nearing the end. I've just ordered the clamp and screw set you posted prior, what size of clamp/ screw did you use? Thank you!

neejij

24/4/24

neejij

24/4/24
Yes, thank you! I have ordered the same one's from Amazon. Do you know which specific size clamp and screw you used?
Not specific but i’m 99% sure i used the smallest clamp and screw

Reactions: Carrera

neejij

24/4/24
I'm wanting to upgrade the crystal but i don't know what gasket size i need.
Anybody any experience with this?

"I can supply this crystal with a 2.5, 2.7, 2.85 or 3.0 mm height gasket."

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
I'm thinking that the 25-295-C1 is the Datejust crystal so I'd go with the 2.5 gasket, but that's just my educated guess.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
3 hours to put the hands on? Excellent choice. I probably went through 6 ETA keylesses after getting used to Seikos.
I know you didn't use an ETA, but unfortunately for many, being impatient does not pay off with watches.
Great build here. Somewhat jealous I didn't consider that at my start. "So, how is Cecilia?"

Reactions: neejij

neejij

24/4/24

I don’t get this. How do i remove the raffles tube? The new tubing has treading, but the raffles case doesn’t. Do i just take pliers and go to town?

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18

I don’t get this. How do i remove the raffles tube? The new tubing has treading, but the raffles case doesn’t. Do i just take pliers and go to town?
I'm not sure I'd do it with the watch put together, but you could probably hammer in (tap) a sharp flathead screwdriver, torx, or hex bit that's approximately the same size as the whole. You only need to tap it enough to create new teeth for the screwdriver to get enough bite where you can turn the tube. Might also be a good idea to heat up the tube to weaken any glue or thread-lock that might be on there.

If you don't plan to reuse it, pliers can still work. Sometimes with threaded items, I have better luck gripping tubes with wire cutters than pliers, as pliers can often strip the threads instead of actually gripping what I'm trying to turn.

Reactions: neejij

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Removing rep case tubes is always a challenge. I typically go with the rat tail file and jamb it in the tube and try to unscrew the tube that way. Heating up the case requires removing the crystal and bezel, but I've done that more than once. I never worry about trashing the rep case tube, I'm going back with a better tube anyway. Once the tube is out it's a good idea to tap the threads in the case to clean them up. 3.0mm x .35 or 2.5mm x .25 depending on what you're going back with. When you install the new tube, it's a good idea to use thread locker to help seal the tube to the case.

neejij

24/4/24
I damaged all the tubes i had. Orderd some on alix but they didn't fit. Orderd new ones including some loctite. Then it would fit into the case but the crown wouldn't go in all the way. I took everything apart and dremmeld my way really carefull to shorten the tube. And now i have a new crown finally!

neejij

24/4/24
And now we are here. I also dremmeld the back case. To check if the rotor was spinning i just turned it close to my ear to hear it click.