• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai Genuine Movements

crick

Respected Member
1/8/06
taken from the 2006 Panerai catalogue. Probably the only most notable one of interest is OP XI, which has been repped very very well (with some minor mods). I believe that most of the others are replaced with an asian or swiss valjoux 7750, asian 21j's, unitas, or other?

Panerai Calibre:

OP XI: Equipped in Luminors and Radiomirs. 17 jewels, 21600 bph. Notice "swan-neck" regulator. Right now there are highly accurate reps (after mods) of these in the Rep World - ie: 111H/177H modded.
opXI.jpg

OP XIV: Equipped in Radiomir 8 Days. 33 jewels, power reserve 8 days, 28800 bph. Notice "swan-neck" regulator. *** Notice the 8 day meter is viewable through the back of the watch. is that SWEET or what?
opXIV.jpg

OP III: Equipped in Luminor Automatic & Submersible. 21 jewels, 28800 bph. **opVIII (Luminor GMT) and opIX (Power Reserve) not listed.
opIII.jpg

OP XII: Equipped in Luminor Chronos. 27 jewels, 28800 bph.
opXII.jpg

OP XVIII: Equipped in 1950 Rattrapante. 31 jewels, 28800 bph. Double column wheel.
opXVIII.jpg

OP XIX: Equipped in 1950 Flyback. 30 jewels, 28800 bph.
opXIX.jpg

P.2002: Equipped in Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT. Panerai's inhouse movement. 21 jewels, 28800 bph. 8 day power reserve with horizontal indicator.
p2002.jpg

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Crick, thanks for the terrific post. Excellent reference in one page.

crick

Respected Member
1/8/06
thanks guys. i had fun scanning these. i want someone to rep the friggin inhouse movement or 8 day movement!!! hope others interject and post some rep movements (like that movement with panerai engraved all over it). :lol:

watch_me_tick

Known Member
29/10/06
for the OP XI movement, the font size is still not that accurate as compared to the "G" series movement. Just my point of view.

icki

Do not accept unsolicited offers
28/4/10
Does the OP X11 for the Daylight Chrono movement have the real date wheeel with the correct font?.

icki

Do not accept unsolicited offers
28/4/10
I am looking for the date wheel disc for the PAM196 or 250 the same thing Valjoux Swiss 7753 Panerai movement, if you know any jeweler who have the parts give me a shout.

There are Asian 21 J that are just inexpensive Chinese movement and there Asian copy of the Swiss ETA 2892 which has 21j, they are both very good movement, but what I do is if I like the watch with Asian 2892 I buy it and replace it with the Swiss 2892 and you will have a very good watch that cost a fraction. They both have the same foundation, don't get the 2824 common and cheap. As for the Swiss 7750 that is a chronograph movement, it vibrate on the wrist whenever you shake you wrist, there is also the Swiss 7753 with the date pusher at the 10 O'clock. Then there is the Asian version of the 7750, I do not know if it has the same foundation as the Swiss version.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
No jewelers will have the correct Panerai datewheel. They will only have stock ETA datewheels, most likely.

Your best bet is to get an aftermarket datewheel from 2Geek or Leo, etc.

AXO

30/6/09
It is funny how a year ago before I got into watches, I wouldnt give these pics a second look. But Today I look at these pics and I am blown away at the amount of engineering that goes into each movement. Pure Works of Art. I could frame these pics and hang them on my walls, But the Wifey would strangle me :cool:. Great post.

kkj

29/9/09
What price can a gen movement fetch out there now ?

What would fellow rep owners be willing to pay to have the gen movement in the rep case watch ?

The Doctor

30/9/09
It would depend on the history and pedigree of the said movement I reckon.

I personally believe any of the established Asian clones offer a VFM angle and more or less come with a proven track record. The ETA's on the other hand are limited, how many of them are now recycled and franken jobs is a mystery.

But thats now what you asked... so that being said the 'scarcity' angle is always a favourable tactic for sellers and this would fetch you a tidy sum for vintage gen movements.