• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 292 with Asian UNITAS-6497 runs too fast. Send it back?

combo52

Do not accept unsolicited offers
6/8/09
A fascination for Pam was all I had when I joined RWI. I took the advice on studying these discussions before acting. Finally bought my first rep from one of our trusted dealers. The pam292, Blackseal radiomir (at 200$). The overall quality of the watch is great. The feel, AR Glass, lume, detailing (scuba pig), ...

Just one thing makes the watch nearly useless. It is equipped with an Asian UNITAS-6497 17J hand winding movement and its runs way too fast. Like 10 min./hour too fast. Opinions on this movement are not that negative on this forum. That's why I ask myself the question wether this is just a malfunction and has to be sent back.

thanks for your advice.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
10 minutes per hour is to fast, check the balance wheel to see if there is any foreign objects..

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The 6497 is a dead simple movement that can be serviced by nearly any half-competent watchmaker. I would strongly suggest getting it serviced/fixed locally and working something out with the dealer you purchased from for a discount or reimbursement. It's not worth sending it back and risking customs problems, IMO.

This is probably a $20 USD fix...

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
It's probably the hair spring is twisted on itself from a bump during shipping. Get a magnifier and look at it. You should be able to tell easily. It would be a one minute fix if you have a steady hand.

combo52

Do not accept unsolicited offers
6/8/09
Thanks, much appriciated!! I'll let someone local take a look at it and ask for a discount on my next purchase. This is getting addictive!

cheers

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
This was WAY too pleasant guys... Almost too pleasant to be in the FFZ.