• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pagani Design PD-1701 Review: A Homage to the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch

sanflex

Getting To Know The Place
12/3/24
The Pagani Design PD-1701 is a homage watch that draws its inspiration from the iconic Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. Unlike the genuine Speedmaster, which commands a much higher price, this model is available on AliExpress for a mere €80-100, making it an attractive option for those who appreciate the Speedmaster's design but are on a budget.

Dimensions and Wearability:

The PD-1701 mirrors the dimensions of the original Speedmaster, with a case thickness of 14mm. This thickness is on the medium to thinner side, making it comfortable for daily wear without feeling overly bulky. The case measures 42mm in diameter but wears more like a 41mm or even 40mm watch, making it well-suited for small to medium-sized wrists. This subtle difference in wearability is a pleasant surprise, as it offers a more versatile fit for a broader range of wrist sizes.

The bracelet width is 20mm, consistent with the original design, and it features a three-link construction. While the bracelet is comfortable to wear and lacks any sharp edges, it doesn't quite match the rest of the watch in terms of perceived quality. Additionally, it includes a diver's extension—a feature that seems unnecessary for this style of watch. A micro-adjustment would have been a more practical and fitting choice.

Movement and Functionality:

Inside the PD-1701 ticks a Japanese Seiko VK63 movement. This movement is reliable, functioning smoothly with no issues, and the chronograph features work well. However, it is a quartz movement, which may be a downside for some enthusiasts who prefer mechanical movements. Despite this, the quartz movement does offer the advantage of precision and ease of maintenance.

Aesthetics and Materials:

One of the standout features of the PD-1701 is its ceramic bezel. The black finish and the crisp, clear print on the bezel are more prominent and eye-catching compared to the original Speedmaster. This gives the watch a slightly more modern and bold appearance.

The watch is also equipped with a sapphire crystal, which is highly resistant to scratches. However, it is flatter and less domed than the sapphire crystal found on the original Speedmaster. While this may detract slightly from the vintage appeal of the homage, it does help keep the overall thickness down, contributing to its wearability.

On the back case of the watch, there's an image of a rocket and a moon, clearly inspired by the Moonwatch. While this bothers some people, I'm actually a fan of it. I think it's funny and well done, showing that Pagani is openly acknowledging that they are a homage to the Moonwatch.

Overall Impression:

In my personal experience, the Pagani Design PD-1701 is a commendable homage watch. It’s important to remember that it is not the original Speedmaster, but it certainly stands out as a well-executed homage. In comparison to the Moonswatch, another Speedmaster-inspired watch, the PD-1701 feels more substantial and satisfying to wear.

As I wore this watch more often, I found myself appreciating it even more. It does an excellent job of capturing the essence of a Speedmaster, giving you that familiar feeling throughout the day. Initially, I had planned to disassemble the watch for a custom build, but it has won me over as a solid daily wearer.

For its price of €80-100, it is definitely a recommended option for Speedmaster fans who are comfortable with the fact that "Pagani Design" is on the dial instead of "Omega."

CF_Stan

CF/FC, ZrO2, PVD/DLC STupid fAN
Patron
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Nice review, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Reactions: sanflex

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Nice write up, was thinking to pick one of these up. Cheers 🍾

sanflex

12/3/24
That or one of these?

Choose ;)

FYI OP, they're both reps, and there are no "good" Moonwatch" reps.
Unfortunately there is no good rep yet, maybe one day hahaha.

But I think I would still pick the Pagani.

DarioM6611

‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Patron
6/8/23
Italy
I have a couple of Pagani. An homage to Omega and to Rolex. Pretty good indeed. Homage watches are worth buying it, depending on price. San Martin is now maybe a little too expensive, even if really well made. Pagani is still a good choice, for everyday use. Especially on summer, at least for me. I never use gen or also rep when at the beach, or swimming pool, or simply walking under the sun. Homage watches are my daily beaters, I can wear them without worrying about.

sanflex

12/3/24
I have a couple of Pagani. An homage to Omega and to Rolex. Pretty good indeed. Homage watches are worth buying it, depending on price. San Martin is now maybe a little too expensive, even if really well made. Pagani is still a good choice, for everyday use. Especially on summer, at least for me. I never use gen or also rep when at the beach, or swimming pool, or simply walking under the sun. Homage watches are my daily beaters, I can wear them without worrying about.
Both are looking good! I was thinking about getting that Pagani seamaster, how is it?

sanflex

12/3/24
The Pagani is 42mm
Some people told me that the 40mm Ali case was too small for them

I am just concerned about the crystal height
The Crystal height is definitely a bit lower than the actual speedy, but still leaves enough room tho.

sanflex

12/3/24
AliX lists this as 40mm though
So I checked it up on the official Pagani website and it stated that the dial is 40mm.

So a lot of confusing measurements. The only thing I can say is, that it feels like a 41mm or even 40mm while wearing.

Reactions: Karbon74

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Thanks, OP. It's a nice looking watch.

I've had a few PDs over the years and they've all been pretty decently made with no issues.

IMO, they're a better choice than most fashion watches. Better priced, too, especially for what you get.

sanflex

12/3/24
Thanks, OP. It's a nice looking watch.

I've had a few PDs over the years and they've all been pretty decently made with no issues.

IMO, they're a better choice than most fashion watches. Better priced, too, especially for what you get.
Very nice, which one do you have?

And I was thinking on getting the PD - Paul Newman edition

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I've kept this one. Bought in April 2021 and still works perfectly. Original battery, too, but it is stored with the crown pulled out.

The only reason I don't buy more is that they don't really satisfy the itch and end up sitting in their box.

KXAnTR.jpeg